Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 15, 2024

MESMERIZED!

She was the only female Sunday School teacher that I had while growing up!  Her name was Betty Paugh.  I believe I was four and five when I was in her class.  

It was about this time that Betty married Andy.  They were not young when they met and married, but the whole church took joy in their new relationship.  Together they adopted a baby named Joy and thoroughly enjoyed raising her together.  They were so proud!  

Andy loved Betty so much!  He insisted on helping her with her Sunday School class; so he would set up a chair against our only door and sit in that chair.  Andy was a big, tall guy and he seemed very intimidating to us; but fortunately, our attention was glued on Betty while in our tiny classroom.

Betty also had a beautiful alto voice!  Later, when I was around twelve years old, my voice began to change.  I had a hard time singing soprano anymore.  Someone suggested that I should sit in front of Betty and learn to sing alto.  I did!  In a very short time, I learned to read the 'intervals' of the alto line and regained my love for singing in church!

Betty used flannelgraph figures on a flannelgraph board to illustrate the Bible lessons.  But that was just the beginning!  She had a dramatic flare and would powerfully act out the lessons with great vocal dynamics!  We were spellbound!  

For the record, Betty is still living at the age of 105.  I just discovered where she is and plan to visit her soon.  I don't know her state of mind, but I'd love to honor her for her impact on my life!  

Betty's investment was typical of many others in the church.  She simply used the gifts that God had given her to teach young children by helping them to gain an appreciation for the many wonderful stories in the Bible!  She was creative and passionate.  She modeled the Christian life for us so wonderfully!

__________________________________

Many years later, I was leading the Free Methodist Community Church in New Middletown, Ohio.  This church was only about a half-an-hour from my home town of New Brighton.  I contacted Betty and asked if she would like to visit the church I was serving.  She was elated at the invitation.  I drove to New Brighton and picked her up.  During worship that Sunday, I called her to the front and presented her the 'Best Sunday School Teacher Ever' award along with a special gift!  Following worship, she joined us for dinner before returning her to her New Brighton home.  Many told me later that she paraded her new award to the New Brighton church the next Sunday and showed it to everyone!  That probably happened sometime around 2008.  

___________________________________

There are many forces that coalesce to make us who we are today!  

  • parents
  • aunts and uncles
  • teachers
  • coaches
  • neighbors
  • pastors and leaders
and so many others!  Some have influence over a period of years while others may only have a brief influence.  But somehow, while we're not even fully aware of it, we are impacted and our mind is formed.  The way we do things may be forever changed because a person came into our view for a season!  We are shaped, influenced, formed, persuaded and convinced by their example, words and charisma!

I know that it's not fair to describe yourself; that task is better left to others.  However, I will take a stab at a self-description.  My calling - at seventeen years of age - was to be a pastor.  I served that role for forty-four years.  Here is what I hope people would remember about me:

Pastor Hal:
  • had a great sense of humor!
  • rarely did things the same way.
  • was creative!
  • loved to surprise us!
  • had a strong impact on men.
  • was a captivating story-teller!
  • made the Bible come to life!
  • was always punctual.
  • had a great laugh and used it often!
  • loves to sing!
  • showed us how to love Jesus!
__________________________________

If I'm anywhere near right in my evaluation [and, by the way, I have a whole lot of negatives that could be listed as well], then it is clear to me that quite a few of these characteristics clearly route back to Betty Paugh's dynamic and dramatic flannelgraph presentations!  
______________________________________

If you happen to be teaching four and five year old kids in Sunday School right now, don't diminish the potential impact you are having!  Psychologists tell us that a child's personality is not fully formed until they reach the age of seven!  You can have a HUGE impact!  

You never know when or where a child [or teen] will latch onto a role model!  There is tremendous wisdom in the parent who immerses their children in the church during these developmental years!  There is wisdom in surrounding your kids with godly role models throughout their developmental years!  

Maybe - just maybe - they'll emulate a few of these people and inculcate in their lives practices, attitudes and skills that will help to direct the flow of their life!  Plus, if you throw the weight of your prayers into the mix, then God will surely be pleased to bring a Betty Paugh into the lives of your kids!  

No comments:

Post a Comment