Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

LONGING FOR MORE

I'm growing weary of announcements, four songs, a prayer and a message.  

Surely we've lost something in the American Church!  

We've had it, but we seem to have lost it - maybe not everywhere, but in most of our churches.

The years of my life have been marked by rich times of worship that imprinted deeply on my mind and heart.  

Ask yourself: Do you really look forward to Sunday?  Are you excited about worshipping God?  Do you sense a thrill as you walk into the worship center?  Do you head for the best seats, or crowd into the back seats?  

Most of all, do you experience God's presence as you worship?  

Do you occasionally have a sense that He's dealing with you?  ...calling you?  ...loving you?

It seems possible that we've programmed the Spirit out of our services by our pre-planning and printed orders of worship.  

The performance mode of worship that has inundated the church for the past thirty years has sedated the congregant.  Is it possible that we fail to see ourselves as participants today - we're observers of the performers.  We applaud at the appropriate times and sit quietly in the dark as watchers.  

Is this what we want?  Did I miss the vote on this?  

Now, I must confess that I've seen the extremes.  I've seen chaos and it doesn't glorify God!  I visited a church where many brought tamborines to church - most had no idea of how to use them.  It was NOT edifying.  I've been in worship where people danced down front.  I found myself wondering if they were doing it for God's glory or their own.  

Pentecostal churches may have life, but it often seems chaotic and generated.  That's not what I yearn for.  

I'm quite certain that we all differ in our expectations and desires.  But, at the same time, I think we all know when God really shows up!  Call it holy awe or a divine presence; but whatever you call it, He makes Himself known!  

That's why so many of these moments - not all, but many - are actually marked by silence and deep reverence. 

Who are we actually worshipping?  

Sensitive worship leaders observe and 'read' the worshippers.  She/he adapts and responds.  This is an acquired practice that emerges from experience and a close walk with God!  

Bottom Line:

We don't come to church to sing.  We don't come because of a good preacher.  We don't come out of obligation or habit.  We don't come to see our friends.  

We come to deliver our worship!  He is worthy!  He is ALWAYS worthy!  I have things to thank Him for.  I just want to be in His presence!  I want to worship!  I may want to call on Him!  I want to experience His presence!

But I don't always get the opportunity to do these things because everything is pre-planned and arranged so fully.  

What would it take to move in this direction?  A courageous pastor?  A sensitive worship leader?  A team that is willing to adapt mid-stream?  A greater sensitivity to the movements of the Spirit?  Why is this so hard?  

How far does the American church have to fall before it realizes that it's missing the mark?  

No comments:

Post a Comment