Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

EXPERIENCING THE PRESENCE OF GOD – 3

The spiritual influences that formed me have been diverse.

I’ve already spoken of the impact of my ‘growing up’ church experience.

Immediately after Debbie and I were married, we took up residence in Wilmore, Kentucky where I attended Asbury Theological Seminary for three years.  It was a United Methodist school, so the diversity represented there – in professors and students – wasn’t extreme.

However, within two years of leaving Asbury, I continued my theological education at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary.  In this setting the theology department was focusing on multiple threads of training:  Liberation Theology, Feminist Theology [half my classmates were women], Calvinistic Theology, and Process Theology.  I struggled with the challenges I faced during this period, but I believe I came out stronger as a result of this exposure and tension.

While attending PTS, I also dabbled in some Roman Catholic experiences.  I was particularly impacted by a program called ‘Domus Dei’ [House of God].  It was an exhaustive engagement with a group of people who determined to experience God through introspection and meditation!  I made new friends and developed a greater intimacy with God through blended and shared expressions of solitude and silence.

Within a very short time, I began studying for a Master of Arts degree in Counseling at the Franciscan University of Steubenville [OH].  Franciscan is a charismatic Catholic University.  My classmates became my friends.  I attended full-time for two years to accomplish my goal [while being a full-time pastor of a growing church and a husband and dad]. During this two years, I attended the noon mass on campus with my classmates.  I picketed abortion clinics with my classmates.  Debbie and I became very close to one couple in particular.  Ed had a heavy impact on me during these years.

During the summer, Franciscan held massive tent meetings on campus.  People came from far and wide to attend these meetings.  I participated in these several times and was deeply influenced by the powerful manifestation of the Spirit in these meetings. 

One of the things that impressed me most was that when the meetings ended, I remained in my seat and just didn’t want to leave!  I was not alone!  Many remained in their seats.  The worship team continued to play and we continued to worship.  Sometimes these ‘post-worship’ seasons went on for another hour!  The presence of God was tangible!  There was weeping.  People went forward – alone or in groups – to pray.  The singing moderated between joyful awareness and humble submission.  The worship team was extremely sensitive to the mood of the people!  I was always one of the last to leave!  My most memorable and dynamic experiences of the presence of God took place in those tents and in that chapel!

From this time forward, I tried to train worship teams to replicate this type of experience.  The difference was in the realization that the worship team had two roles:

1.    To lead passionately and draw people into the presence of God.  This implied that the worship team members had to already BE IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD!

2.    To lead responsively – sensing and responding to the mood of the worshippers.  This required courage and a yielding to the Spirit in the moment!

I remember the first time that our people began to linger after the worship service ended.  While many left the sanctuary, others remained and moved closer to the worship team to be united with them in delivering our praise to God!  I was exuberant to see this occurring!  I felt that a barrier had been broken! 

I was indelibly impacted by these eclectic and divergent experiences.  I am thankful to God for guiding me and allowing me to experience His presence in environments that were not part of my ‘growing-up’ tradition!  It has enriched my life in innumerable ways! 

No comments:

Post a Comment