Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

BURDENS ARE LIFTED!

Since I began reading the Bible many years ago, I've always been drawn to Psalm 32.

We don't hear it so much these days - mostly because we no longer have 'testimony meetings' - but we used to hear people talk openly about the change they experienced when they acknowledged Christ as their Lord.  We would often hear people say things like:

  • "I feel like a burden has been lifted!"
  • "I feel so light and free!"
  • "I feel so relieved and happy!'
I know.  Those comments are so 'touchy/feely'.  But I remember the sincerity with which those words were spoken - frequently with tears of joy!

 We all - from time-to-time - experience relief!  
  • an exam is behind us and it's over!
  • a big job is completed and we give a sigh of relief!
  • a dreaded responsibility is finally fulfilled and we can relax!
  • a debt is paid and we are free!
Good feelings!  

But these things can't compare to the relief that comes as a result of being forgiven for our sins!  Gaining the assurance of forgiveness - whether from another person or God - is a great feeling!  The brokenness is now behind us.  The sleepless nights are over.  The burden of guilt and fear is gone!

One could argue that this experience of forgiveness is magnified by the power of ten when it comes to our sinful nature.  To be forgiven by God is completely restorative!  It rejuvenates!  It cleans the slate!  It allows us to start fresh!  IT RELIEVES OUR GUILT!!!!!

David talks frankly about this:
When I refused to admit my wrongs, I was miserable, moaning and complaining all day long so that even my bones felt brittle.  Day and night, Your hand kept pressing on me.  My strength dried up like water in the summer heat; You wore me down.  [Psalm 32:3-4]

 How happy is the one whose wrongs are forgiven, whose sin is hidden from sight.  How happy is the person whose sin the Eternal will not take into account.  How happy are those who no longer lie, to themselves or others.  [Psalm 32:1-2]

 [All quotes from The Voice Bible unless otherwise noted.  Remember that this paraphrase places words that are not in the original text in italics.]

David continues by explaining this process:

When I finally saw my own lies, I owned up to my sins before You, and I did not try to hide my evil deeds from You.  I said to myself "I'll admit all my sins to the Eternal," and You lifted and carried away the guilt of my sin.  [v.5]

RELIEF!  Satisfaction!  Joy!  A clean slate!  A fresh start!  

Then, it seems that God intervened and spoke to David:

[God speaking to David]  I will teach you and tell you the way to go and how to get there; I will give you good counsel, and I will watch over you. But don't be stubborn and stupid like horses and mules who, if not reined by leather and metal, will run wild ignoring their masters.  [vs.8-9]

 ______________________________________

So, there you have it!  Words of counsel from a man who had a reputation for being "after God's heart" [Acts 13:22].  I can testify to the truth of these claims also.  I am a man like David whose sins and rebellions have been significant and pervading.  

I first experienced that relief and joy as a very young child - before I was capable of great sins.  Repeatedly - throughout life - I have had to relearn to return!  And each time that I have returned to Him, He has restored me!  

  • restored the relief
  • restored the joy
  • restored the assurance 
_______________________________________

Are you wallowing in the pain and agony that is the result of sin?  
Have you wandered away from God?
Have you rebelled - again?
Have you gotten lazy and drifted from the anchors of your faith: the Word, prayer, worship?
Have you been stubborn and stupid, ignoring your Master?
Could you use some relief?
Would you like to be free again?

I can't get some of the old hymns out of my memory [and I don't want to 😉].  Anyone remember this one?  

[Click here if you'd rather here Alan Jackson sing it:
]

1 Would you be free from the burden of sin?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood;
Would you o'er evil a victory win?
There's wonderful power in the blood.

Chorus:
There is power, power, wonder-working power
In the blood of the Lamb.
There is power, power, wonder-working power
In the precious blood of the Lamb.

2 Would you be free from your passion and pride?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood;
Come for a cleansing to Calvary's tide;
There's wonderful power in the blood. [Chorus]

3 Would you be whiter, much whiter than snow?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood;
Sin stains are lost in its life giving flow;
There's wonderful power in the blood.  [Chorus]

4 Would you do service for Jesus your King?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood;
Would you live daily His praises to sing?
There's wonderful power in the blood.  [Chorus]

No comments:

Post a Comment