Search This Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2024

DAVID THE MUSICIAN

 I just read the first few verses of Psalm 33.

Release your heart's joy in sweet music to the Eternal.  When the upright passionately sing glory-filled songs to Him, everything is in its right place.  Worship the Eternal with your instruments, strings offering their praise;  write awe-filled songs to Him on the ten-stringed harp.  Sing to Him a new song; play each the best way you can, and don't be afraid to be bold with your joyful feelings.

[All quotes from The Voice Bible unless otherwise noted.  Remember that this version prints words that are NOT in the original text in italics.]

At one point in my life, a dear friend - Ron Kelly - gifted me with a very fine, twelve-string guitar.  He did so as an investment in my future ministry!  I was forty-three at the time.  Later, Ron also gifted my son, Troy, with a Martin guitar.  Neither of us knew how to play guitar!

I had just assumed the leadership of a congregation in Maryland with an attendance of around 40-50 people.  This was quite a change after leading a growing congregation of over two hundred in East Liverpool, Ohio.  Consequently, I had a bit more leisure than I was accustomed to.  😉

I began learning to play and coaxed Troy to do so too.  Before long, we were leading the Sunday evening service in simple choruses that we had learned.  It was good for both of us!  The people seemed to enjoy our simple leadership and the new songs we presented.  

However, I never pursued playing in the public forum beyond that brief exposure.  Playing my guitar became something that I reserved for my personal relationship with God.  I compiled a book of printed songs that I flipped through day-after-day - singing and praising the Lord in private.  

Over the years, there were only a few times when I was coaxed to play in public.

I suppose you could say that I had David's heart, but certainly not his skill level!  But God never rejected my gifts.  The use of my guitar took my personal worship to another level!  

After a painful departure from the church in Maryland, we passed through some deep waters for many months before landing in Akron, Ohio.  We connected with the Cornerstone Church where I became a staff member working with Pastor Brenda Young.  God had clearly brought a mix of leaders together and - as a result - the church experienced explosive growth!  

My corner office was adjacent to the office suite where several others worked in close proximity.  I arrived early and spent my first hour or so playing my guitar and worshipping the Lord.  I was oblivious to the possibility that others might be hearing me.  I sang and cried out my praises to God in total freedom!

When it came time for our family to move on to our next ministry assignment, the church 'roasted' me.  Of all the humor and fun that we enjoyed that night, what stands out is the comment that our secretarial staff made:

[An approximate]  "When we would come in, we would hear Pastor Hal singing, playing, praying and praising the Lord!  We often quietly joined him in his worship with tears in our eyes."  

I had no idea!  Their comment blessed me!  

For whatever reasons, I didn't play as much while we lived in New Middletown, Ohio, although I was coaxed [by Dave Sargent] to play publicly a few times  [Please note: you would not be impressed with my minimal skill level!]  

Then, in 2012, we moved to Changchun, PRC, for three years!  I couldn't take my guitar.  I missed it! I had periods of leisure that would have allowed me to play more.  I needed the boost it gave to my personal worship!  Eventually, with the help of my teammates, I purchased a guitar.  I loved it.  It had a very pleasant ring to it and my personal worship took off again as I downloaded songs and played them.  I really wanted to bring it home, but the awkwardness of doing so convinced me to gift it to one of my favorite students.

Gradually, due to storage, my prized guitar became unplayable - long story.  I haven't played guitar since 2015.  I miss it.  

I'm currently exploring to find a guitar suitable for my personal enjoyment.  I miss singing for my Lord!  He is my exclusive audience - an audience of One!  I'll keep you posted.  

What can you do that will enrich and enliven your personal worship of our great God?  


No comments:

Post a Comment