Search This Blog

Thursday, June 13, 2019

IT FEELS GOOD TO SET A BOUNDARY!

Several years ago, a new television show was put forward on ABC.  Because it seemed to have remote connections to the previous show, 24, (in particular the leading character is played by Kiefer Sutherland) we decided to give it a try.

For those who don't know, Designated Survivor was about the sudden, unexpected destruction of the US Congress during a State of the Union address.  An unlikely candidate, (Sutherland) is thrust into leadership of a nation without a Congress and in utter chaos and fear.

The portrayal of these events was realistic and effective.  It was a fantastically plausible plot that allowed for creative, fast-moving development.  To be short, we enjoyed the show and were quite surprised at the end of year two when ABC cancelled it.

However, there was clatter that Netflix might pick it up and produce a third season of ten episodes - which they did.  This third season aired on Netflix beginning June 7.  When we opened Netflix and saw it offered, we were excited and immediately watched episode one.

We were quickly shocked at the changes in language and the general tenor of the show.  Things were clearly "different" under this new guiding hand.  We immediately felt tenuous about this new, edgier presentation of the storyline.

The deterioration was similar to what we'd observed in other shows;  one example was Madam Secretary, which we quit watching after the second season.  In both shows the change was palpable. By this, I mean it was more 'in-your-face', shocking and seeming to embrace as many radical issues as they could squeeze into their available forty-five minutes.

Debbie's sensitivities are quicker than mine.  She decided after episode one that she would not watch anymore.  So, while she was with her mom, I watched the next couple of episodes alone.  All-the-while, I had a growing discomfort that this is not something I should be watching.

Last night, as I was watching, a scene came on that was so vile that I quickly grabbed for the remote to end the stream.  I sat in the silence shocked and disappointed.  I went to bed but couldn't sleep.  I quietly prayed.

I prayed for forgiveness for not picking up on the signs earlier.  I prayed for the producers who created this show.  I prayed for the actors and for our nation.  Then Debbie spoke in the darkness:  "Are you praying?"  My answer:  "Yes."  Her response:  "Good!  I could hear you whispering."  I'm so accustomed to my hearing disability that I tend to forget just how well she can hear!  :-)

I continued to pray until I eventually fell asleep.

This morning I rose and immediately went to my study to read and pray.  Among my sections for today I read the second chapter of Titus (from The Voice Bible).  It includes the following passage (verse 12):
Grace arrives with its own instruction:  run away from anything that leads us away from God;  abandon the lusts and passions of this world;  live life now in this age with awareness and self-control, doing the right thing and keeping yourselves holy.   
It solidified my decision and reinforced my commitment to be on guard for those things and experiences that lead me away from God!

I have drawn a boundary for myself!  It feels good to have done so!

I want to be a good man.  I want to be a godly man!  This is not an easy thing to accomplish in the current age with so many diversions and distractions.

I began driving for Lyft back around Christmas time.  My pattern has been to leave early to catch the morning demand for rides.  I tend to leave anytime between 5:00 AM to 6:30 AM and often drive until late morning.  I've had good intentions to return home and have my Bible and prayer time.  However, there are so many things to do when I get back!  You guessed it.  My well-established disciplines have been decimated.

That is - until this week.  God's voice finally got through to me and I reestablished my priorities - something that we all need to do periodically.  This week, I've returned to rising early and heading straight for my study.  On day one, the restoration of joy in God's Word was immediate!  The channels were clear as I heard His voice and experienced communion with my God!

A peace and sense of balance has quickly been restored.  I am grateful.

Perhaps your time with God has been compromised.  Maybe you need to reevaluate.

Acts 3:19 says, (again from The Voice Bible):
So now you need to rethink everything and turn to God so your sins will be forgiven and a new day can dawn, days of refreshing times flowing from the Lord. 
 You may discover - as I have - how good it is to have this primary relationship restored!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Hal. Designated Survivor is on my list of Netflix watches but now I'll re-think that. How disappointing as I did enjoy the first two seasons. I'm a viewer of Madam Secretary, as well, and have surely noticed the agenda-driven scripts of late:( Boundaries, another form of discipline that we all need to take heed to, I think. Often gets lost in the shuffle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diane. As you would know, I have no desire to set anyone else’s agenda. I struggle with my own striving for purity. However, I am committed to share openly and honestly (painful though it sometimes is) in hopes of inspiring and engaging others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie and I loved Designated Survivor and Planned to watch on Netflix. I hadn’t been able to bring myself to watch it yet. I’m so glad that I did not. Very disappointing. Thanks for your powerful article.

    ReplyDelete