Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

MAGNUM OPUS

Back in early March of 1987, I made a purchase from Cambridge University Press for about $26.  It was a loose-leaf, three-ring, wide margin, New International Version Bible!  We were living in East Liverpool, Ohio, at the time and I was five years into a thirteen year appointment.  Travis would have been 11, Troy - 7 and Tracie - 6.  :-)

It's difficult to express how excited I was about this very expensive purchase.  I immediately began reading in it daily and adding notes in those generous wide margins.  I had already established a pattern of reading a book-a-week, so I also transferred notes from books I read into appropriate places in the new Bible.  Pretty quickly, I cut copy paper to the same size as the pages in my Bible and punched appropriate holes so that I could add pages (when needed) for additional notes and observations.  Many of these blank pages were in the front of the Bible where I collated data from each year's read-through of the Bible.  These notes and observations often turned into preaching series.  This Bible became a goldmine and treasure to me and I often thought that if we had a fire, I would grab it after I knew the family was safe!  ;-)

Eventually, I had added so many pages to the binder that it would hardly close!  That was when I found a second binder and split the Old Testament from the New Testament.  Woo Hoo!  Now I had tons of freedom for adding more pages and more notes.  Needless to say, this Bible became an invaluable resource to me in preparing Bible studies and sermons.  I even lugged it along on vacations so I could sustain my daily reading disciplines and not fall behind in my note-taking.  


I am so thankful that I was raised in a home where the Bible was honored and used.  My Mom kept a plastic loaf of bread on our table filled with small cards that held a Bible verse on each side.  At our mealtime, we would each pull a card and read it before our prayer of thanksgiving.  My Mom's Bible was well-used;  she had re-covered it repeatedly and added pockets in the front and back to contain her many prayer lists.  I often caught my Dad reading and studying his Bible in his bedroom.  He regularly taught a Sunday School class and needed to be prepared for that role.  He made notes in his Bible of the texts used by the various preachers he heard.  I'm blessed to have those Bibles in my possession to this day!  

I was raised in a culture that was immersed in God's Word.  I remember memorizing lengthy passages in Sunday School and Christian Youth Crusaders (CYC).  Many of those passages linger in my memory even now!  I was taught by people who loved and lived according to this book:
  • Betty Paugh - she made the Bible live for me as a pre-schooler!
  • Neil Castilucci
  • Paul Funkhouser
  • Udele Gallagher
  • Jim Rudolph
  • Joe Douglas
  • Chuck Eckles
  • Carl Geissinger  [Notice:  in seventeen years I only had one woman teacher!!!]
Then, I went to Roberts Wesleyan College where I immediately fell under the influence of professors like Stanley Magill, Wes Vanderhoof, and Harry Anderson!  They loomed large to me and fostered a deeper understanding and love in me for God's Word (even in the Greek language)!

Then, after getting married, I began my Masters in Divinity studies at Asbury Theological Seminary.  Living in this Christian and educational community was a great privilege.  Again, professors led me into whole new areas of study and research!  I was mesmerized by the instruction offered by Don Joy, Donald Demaray, Gilbert James, Kenneth Kinghorn, John Oswalt and Harold Kuhn.  

After three years (without having attained my degree) we moved to Jeannette, PA, where I assumed my first, full-time role as pastor.  Within a few years, I realized that I should have completed my studies.  Returning to Kentucky was out-of-the-question, so I enrolled at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary to complete my Divinity degree (part-time) over the next eleven years.  Dr. Donald Gowan and Dr. Charles Partee became major influencers in my life during that period (and Hebrew and Aramaic were added to my growing understanding of the Bible).  

Because our family was growing and I needed help with my role as a husband and father, I turned to radio resources almost daily to grow my knowledge and understanding in those areas.  My teachers were:  James Dobson, Dennis Rainey, John Huffman, John MacArthur, Chuck Smith and Charles Swindoll!  

In addition, I quickly realized that I needed ongoing education to be able to effectively lead the churches I was serving.  I began to consume resources and attend events that featured Ted Engstrom, John Maxwell, Rick Warren, Bill Hybels, Larry Burkett, Dave Ramsay, and Andy Stanley.  I also had laymen who taught and influenced me, including Ron Kelly and Jim Stetler (as well as others).  

Thank You, Lord!
Your faithfulness through the years has been utterly amazing!  There have been SO MANY moments of revelation and so many times of deep inspiration!  So many people have left their fingerprints on my life!  I am not worthy of such grace and attention!  I live with gratitude for the constant persistence of Your Spirit in growing me and developing the capacities that You placed within me!  
You've given me so many amazing opportunities over the years!  You allowed me to lead, teach and shepherd the people at Tunnel Hill (Indiana), Jeannette (PA), McClellandtown (PA), Oakland (East Liverpool, OH), Spencerville (Maryland), Cornerstone (Akron, OH), New Middletown (OH), and Kittanning (PA).  
In addition, You also gave us three years to serve Your purposes in Changchun (Northeast PRC).  We will NEVER forget the many friends we made from many countries during that period of service!  
And, my love for Your Word continues today!  I'm still making notes and observations!  I still delight at the things You teach me and show me on a daily basis!  You have been faithful through Your Holy Spirit to show me incredible connections and to reveal secrets to my heart!  Your Word truly is a lamp for my feet and a light on my path!  
Keep it going, Lord, and may my children and grandchildren benefit directly from the generations of faithful that have laid the foundation for them!  AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment