Search This Blog

Sunday, June 16, 2019

MEET MY SON-IN-LAW

Our daughter, Tracie, left home at the age of nineteen while we were living in Akron, Ohio.  It was a sad/happy day as she drove down Kickapoo Avenue in her blue Buick.  She had been a wonderful daughter and had blessed us over and over with her responsibility and fun-loving-ways!  

She was sixteen when we left Maryland in the fall of 1997, and moved back to Pennsylvania.  But, she didn't fight us regarding the decisions we were making.  I've always appreciated that in her.

But, at nineteen, she was ready to spread her wings!  She moved in with her best friend, Allison, and became Tom's third daughter for a few years.  Again, we've always been grateful to Tom Harding for opening his doors to her and giving her a safe launching pad!  

It was during this season of her life that she met Jon at the Montgomery County Fair.  Apparently, they connected pretty quickly and we started hearing more and more about this young man who had been raised on a beef farm in central Pennsylvania.  

It didn't seem like long before he was headed off to Great Lakes (shortly after 9/11) for his experiences at 'boot camp' with the United States Navy.  

Our first time to meet Jon was at a restaurant - without Tracie.  We were anxious about this odd arrangement;  he must have been anxious times ten!  

I confess that I was pretty hard on Jon.  I wrote him a series of about three letters to be very clear with him about how I expected him to treat my daughter.  One of those letters was just before he graduated from Great Lakes.  

At one point, Tracie told me that Jon was afraid of me.  I told her that was ok;  there would be a time when we would be friends - but it wasn't now.  :-)   He also told her - once they were engaged - that he'd never be able to sleep with her if I was in the house!  

They married on January 15, 2005.  Tracie had come home to live with us (in New Middletown) for over a year before the wedding.  She and her Mom had a great time planning the wedding and preparing for the big day!  

They immediately flew to Honolulu, Hawaii, not for their honeymoon, but to live!  He was assigned to a submarine and they resided there for a year and a half.  From there, he was assigned to Groton, Connecticut, where they have lived since.  

Rylie Grace came along in 2007, and Coltin Eugene entered the world in 2009.  

Jon's career performance has been exceptional.  He made 'Chief'' at a young age.  Last year, we drove all night to be able to see him pinned as Master Chief!  Now, he's the Chief of the Boat (COB) on a soon-to-be-christened submarine.  

When we first started visiting Jon and Tracie, I was a little concerned because Jon didn't seem to be taking the spiritual lead in his family.  We noticed that prayer didn't seem to have much of a place in their home.  So, I went home and began praying for him!  Every day, I called him out before the Lord, to become a godly man with a great passion for God.  

I'll never forget the first time that Jon prayed over a meal about a year later!  It was awesome.  He discovered a church that had been planted by a former Navy man.  They are still very active in REV Church and Jon is still close with Pastor Matt.  

Jon's spiritual transformation has been a delight to me.  It pours over into everything that he does.  But most of all, he is a great husband and dad!  He is affectionate with Tracie and the children.  He plays with them on the floor, works with them on their sports, reads with them, and gives them lots of hugs and kisses!

      



It seems to me that he excels in every area.  I am so proud of him!  And by-the-way, we have a great relationship now.  He pulls me more deeply into sports.  We talk about church.  We share resources.  I thoroughly enjoy being around him.  Besides, he grills and smokes meat better than anyone I know! Just two years ago, he fire-grilled a ton of chicken for my retirement party!  

I never worry about Rylie and Coltin!  I know that Jon is on the job.  He is an excellent provider, a fierce protector, and is generous with his time, his attention and his affection!  

On this Father's Day, I thank God, my Heavenly Father, for providing such a good man for Tracie, Rylie and Coltin!  You're the best, Jon!    

No comments:

Post a Comment