Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Free Will

I just read the story of King Saul in I Samuel and it made me think about the free will that God has given us. Free will always gets tangled up with God's sovereignty and God's omniscience.  I'm not a theologian, but it seemed kind of clear to me - so I thought I'd share...

God, through Samuel, appoints Saul as the first king of Israel.  Saul was "...a choice and handsome man, and there was not a more handsome person than he among the sons of Israel;  from his shoulders and up he was taller than any of the people."  (I Samuel 9:2  NAS).  After Samuel anointed him, he said, "...the spirit of the LORD will come upon you mightily, and you shall...be changed into another man...Then it happened when he turned his back to leave Samuel, God changed his heart..."  (I Samuel 10:6,9  NAS).

When you read through these chapters, you get a sense that God had chosen the best man for the job.  However, Saul made consecutive bad choices. Eventually, his victories went to his head:  "[Samuel] got up early in the morning to confront Saul but was told, "Saul's gone.  He went to Carmel to set up a victory monument in his own honor..."  (I Samuel 15:12 TM).

Eventually, God laments that He made Saul king of Israel:  "Then the word of the LORD came to Samuel, saying, 'I regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following Me and has not carried out My commands.'...And the LORD regretted that He had made Saul king over Israel."  (I Samuel 15:10-11,35 NAS).

It seems pretty clear that Saul could have chosen obedience.  Saul could have written a different ending to this story - but he didn't.  Saul used his free will to disobey God and suffered greatly for it.  Had he walked in a way that honored God, he could have created an amazing legacy.

Because of Saul's choices, God changed His plan and withdrew His Spirit from Saul:  "Now the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul..."  (I Samuel 16:14 NAS).  Instead, God placed His Spirit on the young shepherd, David:  "Samuel took his flask of oil and anointed [David],...The Spirit of God entered David like a rush of wind, God vitally empowering him for the rest of his life."  (I Samuel 16:13 TM).

This is not just a sad story from the Old Testament.  It is an illustration of how God works.  He gives us free will and hopes that we will use it to honor and obey Him!  However, when we neglect Him and start building monuments to ourselves we forfeit His blessing.

At one point, after grossly disobeying God's commands, Saul tries to assuage God by sacrificing lots of animals.  Samuel responds:
"Do you think all God wants are sacrifices - empty rituals just for show?
He wants you to listen to Him!...
Because you said No to God's command, He says No to your kingship."
(I Samuel 16:22,23 TM)

Sorry!  You can't please God just by showing up at His house on Sundays. Remember, "...the LORD looks at the heart."  (I Samuel 16:7 NAS).

What does He see when He looks at your heart?

1 comment:

  1. So, did God know all along that Saul would turn his back on Him? It gets a bit confusing when you think of the free will that God gives and yet at the same time, He is all knowing. Perhaps God saw both roads that Saul could have chosen? Thoughts .....

    ReplyDelete