Search This Blog

Friday, October 9, 2015

The blog I never wanted to write

Did you know that Travis was a preemy?  Yep!  Five pounds at birth and seven weeks early.  He immediately lost weight and we had to leave him in the hospital for two weeks.  That was tough!

It was love at first sight.  He changed our lives forever. That was thirty-nine and a half years ago.

In between, he has provided us with some of the proudest moments of our lives!

Raising him was actually pretty easy.  He was always respectful!  He never broke the trust.

People like Travis!  He was fortunate to get his mother's personality!  He makes friends easily everywhere he goes.

And, he is generous - especially with those he loves.  In 2005, Tracie had saved $600 to buy her wedding dress.  But she fell in love with one that cost more than twice that.  She borrowed the excess from Travis;  he never let her pay him back.

He was Troy's best man in 2012.  He came home for a whole week and went to extremes to see that everything was perfect. He prepared their honeymoon suite with extravagant treats and adornments.

We were also recipients of his generosity. He often bought us expensive things that he knew we would never purchase on our own.

A couple of years ago, Travis and Josh decided to stop showering Rylie and Coltin (Tracie's children) with gifts. Instead, they opened a college fund for them (as well as a niece of Josh's) and began making monthly contributions toward their future education.

When Debbie and I were young, we saw siblings that seemed to hate one another. Before we were even married, we determined that we would strive to raise our children to genuinely love each other. And they have!  They've shared vacations and still have animated and humorous text-conversations on a regular basis.

In recent years, Travis made major life decisions that we did not agree with. However, our love for him remained constant and grew to include Josh. He also made career decisions that changed his future work focus. We supported him in these.

Then, of course, we went to China for three years. The last time we saw him was at Family Camp during July, 2014.   It was wonderful to have our whole family together for an entire week!  A rare treat for the Haire family.

On Monday, Josh called to tell us that Travis had experienced a cardiac arrest.  We immediately flew to his side - where we have stayed. Initially, we had a hope that he would be restored to us;  however, in time it was clear that we would not tbe hearing his voice again.

In the meantime, we have taken turns standing at his side.  We have talked to him, held his hands, rubbed his shoulders and loving stroked his face.  It's ironic that I recently wrote a blog about weeping.  This week we have each sobbed with sorrow!  Wednesday night, Debbie wailed throughout the night!  The next morning, I watched her caress his face with her fingers and her lips as she sang to him and expressed her love to him!

I look at this man who is so intelligent. I remember how he used to love to lay on top of me when he was young.  I think about his knowledge of nuclear reactors.  I think about the places he's been and the experiences he's had.  When he came home from one of his deployments on the Parche, I smilingly asked him where all he'd been?  He said, "Well, Dad, I could tell you - but then I'd have to kill you".  And then he laughed that goofy laugh of his!

An hour ago, Travis passed away.  He is now giving life to others through the donation of his kidneys.  In time, he will be buried according to his wishes at the United States Military Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.

Our grief is without description!  We are seized with pain. We are, however, a family of faith. Our trust is always in the Lord. If need be, we will stand with Job and say:  "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;  blessed be the name of the Lord."

We believe with all of our hearts in the pursuing love of God. We know that God pursues all people up until the last milli-second of life!  We have continually called on God's mercy and grace for ourselves and for Travis.

We stand with broken hearts that need mended and we look to the Lord for that healing.

21 comments:

  1. Hal, Debbie, Troy, Tracie, Josh and entire family: I can't begin to try to find the right words to express my sadness for the loss you are all experiencing. In recent years, Travis and I have talked more because we knew we shared some things in common. We didn't talk often, but we did share stories and thoughts of encouragement when we did. He will be greatly missed and was one of the most generous, loving and caring folks I've ever met. Please know that even if all of you did not agree with some of his life directions in recent years, it meant so much for you to still love him unconditionally and to accept those things which you couldn't personally have changed. I can say this with the same experience in my family. I don't know if Travis was ever able to say that to you, but believe me, he did appreciate that. I will pray that you will find comfort in the wonderful memories you've made with him through the years and celebrate the wonderful life he had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will ALWAYS remember his laugh. There was no other like it. So profoundly sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for the family. May His soul rest in perfect peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harold, I have a heavy heart right now. I am truly sorry for your loss. I will continue to pray for you all. God will give you the comfort you all need. May Travis rest in peace. Hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hal, Debbie, Tracie and family, Troy and Missy, and Josh,
    We are devestated by your loss of Travis. So young intelligent and good.
    Our prayers, thoughts, and spirits are with you forever but epecially in the coming days and weeks. Luv and hugs Skeeter and Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful tribute to Travis and to your faith. Praying for you and your family today as you grieve for Travis. May God grant you his peace and presence today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart breaks for your family. Know that we are praying for all of you. I can't imagine your grief right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We pray for peace for all of you. Travis touched the lives of so many people--he was a very kind and caring individual. A man who grew up with love, learns to love. And he did. He loved his family, his friends, and Daffy. I recently visited Josh and Travis and was warmed by the love the two shared. We will love and remember Travis forever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Travis will always hold a special place in my heart. I am so heart broken over this. I want to thank you and Deb and my parents for, wven though you moved when we were 6, our two families always remained in contact. I wish I still had the monthly letters that Teavis and I would write to each other or any pictures of him and I at my sisters wedding.. But all of that will remain in my heart.. A heart that hasn't stopped crying since I heard on Tuesday night... Fly High my childhood friend fly high... I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hal, Debbie, Troy & Tracie, I am so very sorry for your loss. I will continue to pray for all of you, prayer that you find comfort in God's arms.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My heart breaks, to hear of your loss. I have prayed for your family constantly over the passed 5 days, I will continue to lift you to the Lord. Love from my entire family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry for your loss. Although I did not personally know him, everyone has spoken highly of him. I will pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marti and Don TheuneOctober 10, 2015 at 2:11 PM

    Harold, Debbie, and Family, we are terribly saddened about this tragic loss. We remember camping trips and football games at the Academy. We live in Hawaii (on Oahu) and would love to give our sympathy in person. Let us hear from you as you are able. I began praying as soon as the first word came out. I believe God heard my prayers on behalf of a desperately hurting family, and that Travis is at peace with God. My email address is mtheune@redpeninc.com. I am not a blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Hal and Debbie, Our hearts break as we read your blog moments ago. We are saddened to hear of Travis' passing. We celebrate his life as you have profoundly recorded in your blog. We know that our Father in heaven grieves with all of you at your loss. May each and every member of Travis' family experience the strong and compassionate embrace from the Father of Lights (James 1:17). You are ALL in our prayers. Hal and Debbie, as parents we cannot imagine your pain... your comrades in ministry, Nelson & Camille Blount

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haire Family, My husband served under Travis on the USS Maryland as his assistant ENG and QAO. We have very fond memories of him and Alan said it was a joy to have Travis as a boss. We are completely heart broken for your family and will be covering you in prayer over the next few months. Lots of love from Texas, Alan and Bobbi Van Reet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words. They have special value to us! Hal

      Delete
  18. Ruth Ann (Stevick) WattsOctober 10, 2015 at 10:53 PM

    Haire family: my heart aches for you all. May the God of all comfort be with you in this devastating loss. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Haire family: Our deepest condolences from out here in Washington state. I had heard about Travis' untimely passing earlier this month but only just came across this particular blog today via a mutual friend. Travis and I were both classmates and company-mates at Annapolis, and I have many fond memories of him during our time there. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of you during this difficult period. Fair winds and following seas, Trav...
    Sincerely, G. Kyle Baker - USNA '00 - 28th Co.

    ReplyDelete
  20. As I read this, I'm grieving deeply for you, Debbie, Troy, Tracie, Rylie, Coltin, and Josh. I can't even imagine the piece of each of your hearts that is missing. I do know that God blessed you and Debbie with a wonderful and caring son. With Debbie's personality, and your laugh and intelligence, who wouldn't flock to be around Travis - I know I would. Such unbearable pain, yet unforgettable love and joy. So much love in one family is remarkable. God is good. Even in death, Travis was very unselfish and showed his loving qualities - two people receiving the gift of life - that's absolutely beautiful! My heart mourns for you and your whole family, and for everyone's irreplaceable loss in their lives. Keep talking about Travis often. Lord, you made Travis the beautiful man that he was. Thank you for the time he genuinely loved people, and impacted their lives. Lord, please help his family remain strong in their faith, especially when some days may seem unbearable. May they always know that You are a God of love, mercy, and grace. In Jesus' name, Amen.
    I feel privileged to read about your amazing son!!!

    ReplyDelete