Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

There's Been A Change In Plans

This has happened to so many of you, I'm sure you'll identify.

It was Monday afternoon.  Troy and I had spent the day together.  At 3:00, I jumped into the shower to get ready to leave for Kittanning.  I had thrown my things together and was grabbing them to head out the door.  Troy had been on the phone since before I got in the shower.

He walked in the door and told me that I was probably going to be late.  I didn't understand?  I asked:  "Do I have a flat tire?"  He said "No."  "Did the kitten get out?" "No."  I could see fear in his eyes.  "Did you break something?"  "No.  Stop, Dad!"

He took a deep breath and then said, "Travis is in the hospital.  He had a cardiac arrest last night."

I was frozen.  I could not believe what I was hearing!  My son, Travis, is 39.  How could this be?

It was 3:30 PM.  Time for me to head to the church in Kittanning.  Debbie would be just finishing work at school.  I called the school and told them it was an emergency and to send her home immediately.

She arrived home shortly after and I had Troy tell her what we knew.  I felt the sadness as I saw the shock take over her face.

Then followed a flurry of phone calls and exchanges of information.  By 5:00, I was online buying tickets for the three of us to fly to Honolulu.  By 6:00, we had thrown things in a bag and were driving fast to the Pittsburgh airport.

We've just had a difficult night of sleep at LAX.  Tracie is now also in the air.

Sometime this morning, the doctors will warm Travis and remove the sedation.  We should arrive shortly after that time.

In the meantime, we've had text-prayers sent and numerous offers of financial assistance.  Family members have been called and are praying.  Slowly, but surely, our full circle of family and friends will know about Travis.  And as this happens, thousands of prayers will rise to God on his behalf.

This is one of the greatest benefits of being part of God's family!  Thank you for praying for our son!


7 comments:

  1. Pastor Hal, my family and I will surely be praying for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At times in our lives- we become numb, in shock- but God is right there, He is in control, He understands us, He is praying for us, at times we can hardly think right, don't know the right words, just say "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" the Holy Spirit will be at work in you- you'll be okay. We are praying !

    ReplyDelete
  3. At times in our lives- we become numb, in shock- but God is right there, He is in control, He understands us, He is praying for us, at times we can hardly think right, don't know the right words, just say "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" the Holy Spirit will be at work in you- you'll be okay. We are praying !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn and I are holding you and Debbie and Travis up to our loving Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Travis and your family are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. I can't imagine you shock disbelief and numbness. If we can do anything from afar please let us know. May He give you peace wisdom and stength during the coming days

    ReplyDelete
  6. Travis and your family are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. I can't imagine you shock disbelief and numbness. If we can do anything from afar please let us know. May He give you peace wisdom and stength during the coming days

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike and I are praying for Travis, and for you and Debbie and your dear family. You are being held in the Lord's loving arms and by the love of so many others!

    ReplyDelete