Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Growing up!

When I was growing up, the New Brighton, Pennsylvania, Free Methodist Church was like my second home.  Our family was there every Sunday morning for Sunday School and worship.  Then we returned at 7:00 PM for the evening service.  Tuesday night was Christian Youth Crusaders (CYC) and Wednesday evening was the weekly prayer meeting.

Twice a year, we had week-long revivals that ran every night.  On top of that were district quarterly meetings, district youth rallies and other special events.  You get the picture.

When I was twelve years old, I decided to be brave;  I announced to my father that I thought I was old enough to sit by myself in the Sunday night service.  He responded that he and my mom would talk it over.  I felt hopeful!

Shortly after that, he announced their decision:  I could sit anywhere I wanted in worship on Sunday evenings - as long as it was in front of them!  They sat in the third row!

A hollow victory....

No comments:

Post a Comment