Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The Easing Of A Burden

I had an unusual feeling while driving to Kittanning this morning that reminded me of something that took place many years ago.

In the early 1990's (25 years ago), I was leading the Oakland Free Methodist Church in East Liverpool, Ohio.  I was 40 years old.  A friend, John Kelley, and I had designed a program of small groups that was being used in the Pittsburgh Conference at the time to help its pastors stay healthy and connected.

I was leading a Pastoral Support Team for my area that included a fine group of local Free Methodist leaders:  Dave Stout, Norm Eckert, Fred Schreffler, Wilbert Bischoff, and Delmar Logston.  We met monthly for a couple of hours to study, share, and pray together.  We had a good group and enjoyed challenging and supporting each other.

Fred was leading the First FMC in East Liverpool at the time and was drawing near to his retirement.  At our meeting, he shared the following story [testing my memory here, but I think most of the details are correct]:

[I'm going to tell Fred's story in the first person]
"Many years ago, while serving as associate pastor to Glenn Hughes at New Brighton, I received my first appointment to the New Cumberland, West Virginia FMC.

Esther had just had a baby, so I made the early Sunday morning trip to New Cumberland alone.

As I drove down the Ohio River and crossed to the West Virginia side, I felt a burden of responsibility settling down on my shoulders.

With retirement now just a short while off, I'm just beginning to feel that burden lift!"

Fred was such a respected member of our group!  He had more wisdom and insight into the scriptures than most of us and we loved it when he began to share his thoughts with us!  If anything, Fred was probably under-appreciated over the years for the contributions he made to his churches through the deep teaching that he provided.  I know that he had a powerful impact on my father-in-law, Ken Whippo.  Fred's teaching grounded Ken in his new faith and consequently bore tremendous influence in Debbie's family system!

I am now a little over a month away from my own retirement.  I was praying as I drove to Kittanning this morning (a great way to redeem the time). Somewhere along the way this morning, I felt the burden beginning to lift.  It was a good feeling!

PS  -  Fred,  If someone directs your attention to this blog, please know that you had a good and strong influence in my life!  Thank you for being a faithful student of God's Word and an even more faithful teacher of His eternal truths!  I believe you've earned a great reward in Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment