Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

PATH TO ADVENTURE

My dad was born and raised in New Brighton, PA.  He lived for a few years in Beaver Falls (across the Beaver River) before moving permanently back to New Brighton.  He must have had some elements of adventure because in 1955, he took our family on a trip to the west coast;  I was three and don't remember it at all.  Other than that, he enjoyed vacations to the Allegheny National Forest in New York state nearly every summer.  He and my mother made a few trips to Florida after he retired.  He participated in General Conferences of the Free Methodist Church five different times, which took him to Winona Lake and Indianapolis, Indiana.  Other than these ventures, he was pretty content to stay in one place.

I, on the other hand, have lived in Pennsylvania, New York, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Maryland, West Virginia (briefly) and China.  Although I stayed in East Liverpool, Ohio for thirteen years and New Middletown, Ohio for nine years, it doesn't take long for me to get restless.  I seem to have been born without an anchor.  When Debbie and I travel, I see so many wonderful places and wonder what it would be like to live there.  Call me nomadic, I guess.  

Over the years, Debbie and I have created a mental list of places we might like to live for an extended time.  It includes:

  • Dahlonega, Georgia
  • Ocean City, Maryland (fall, winter and spring only)
  • the Shenandoah Valley (Virginia)
  • Asheville, North Carolina
  • the Philippines
  • Portugal
  • New Zealand (OK, I just added that one)

Two years ago, we placed a manufactured home on a lot in a wonderful place in Enon Valley, Pennsylvania.  Troy and I built a great, two-car garage adjacent to the house.  I spent this summer putting in a yard and doing all the landscaping to give it the finished look.  

Before we made this enormous decision, I asked Debbie if making this move was going to kill my dream of traveling and living in various places.  We agreed that although the move gave our lives some sense of permanence, we would still be intentional about breathing life into our dreams.  

But life has a way of happening.  Debbie participates with her siblings in providing care for her aging mother, who still lives on the Whippo farm.  It's less than three miles from where we live.  Once (sometimes twice) a week, Debbie spends a 24-hour period with her mom.  It's interesting because Dolores (Deb's mom) provided care for her parents - along with her siblings - many years ago.  So, in a sense, her kids are following their example.  

You can see where this is heading, right?  Making this loving commitment is the right thing to do, but it limits our dream.  To be really honest, it limits my dream.  Debbie isn't the adventurer that I am.  She's far more content to settle and live a peaceable life.  I'm the restless one.  Now that the work is all done on our new home, I'm ready to move on...  Suffice it to say:  this makes me a hard guy to live with.

Part of our retirement dream had been to be available for short-term (or long-term) missionary assignments through the Free Methodist Church.  We actually have a standing invitation to fill a role in the Middle East, but can't really do so in light of Deb's current commitments.  Maybe someday.

Right now, I'm writing this blog article from Hilton Head Island where we're spending the better part of two weeks.  It's our first retirement escape from the winter cold.  So far, a trip to Savannah, extensive beach walking and finishing my first novel have kept me busy.  Today, boredom started creeping in;  the desire to explore and be active.  

Actually, my opportunity to stretch will be here soon.  I've been dreaming about hiking the Appalachian Trail since I was twenty-one.  I'm planning to hit the trail in Georgia in about seven weeks.  I've been buying gear and weighing everything over past weeks.  I'll be preparing food and planning drop-boxes in the intervening time.  Finally, I'll arrange my travel and shuttles to get me to the trail-head at Amicalola Falls.  

The trail is approximately 2,150 miles and runs from Springer Mountain, Georgia to Mt. Katahdin, Maine.  It also passes through North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire.  I read somewhere that you cross over three hundred mountains during the trek.  

The closest the trail comes to our home is Carlisle, Pennsylvania (near Harrisburg).  If I make it that far, Deb will probably come to visit and resupply me.  If I make it to Connecticut, I'll pass within two hours of Tracie and Jon.  I'll take a break with them for some good food and a much-needed shower.  

In 2017, 3,839 people began the through-hike of the AT (most south-to-north).  1,723 made it as far as Harper's Ferry, West Virginia - the emotional half-way mark.  685 completed the trail.  There are many reasons for dropping off the trail:

  • too hard
  • an injury
  • ran out of time
  • ran out of money
  • boredom
  • emergency at home
I have been backpacking for a week several times in my life.  However, never longer.  What makes me think I can live in a tent on the trail for five-six months?  I have no idea.  It's the pursuit of a dream that materialized when I was a young man.  I'm not that young man anymore!  I'm purchasing gear that should help me to endure.  I've read hundreds of books about hiking the AT and other major trails.  

No one really knows ahead of time how they'll handle the adversity and hardships that are typically encountered on the AT.  Serial rainy days, tics, potential snowstorms (with my start date), poison ivy (a major issue for me), and the number one threat - BOREDOM will challenge me.  At 66, I will not be the oldest to take on the trail.  In 2017, the age range was from 17-74, with the average age being 32.  One in four hikers are women.  


Dale Sanders, 82, stopped to kiss his last trail marker 
before becoming the oldest person to hike 
all 2,190 miles of the Appalachian Trail within a year.

I have decided to try to raise some money for one of my favorite causes: International Child Care Ministries.  This ministry (associated with the Free Methodist Church) enables individuals to sponsor a child for a monthly fee that will insure that the child receives food, school fees, books and supplies.  In addition, they have special projects that include feeding centers and the building of schools for some of the neediest children.  

I'd love to have you invest in their special projects by sponsoring me for the miles I am able to complete.  The AT is 2,189 miles.  If you sponsor me for $.01/mile, the most you would contribute would be $21.89.  If I only complete 100 miles, then you only contribute $1.00.  

For those who doubt that I'll make it, why not volunteer for $.10 or $1/mile?  Place your bets!  

ICCM is helping kids who really don't have many advantages.  You can check them out at http://www.childcareministries.org/  I do have their permission to recruit sponsors.  To become a sponsor, you can notify me of your support in three ways:
No money will pass through or go to me!  Funds will eventually be remitted to ICCM with a note indicating 'Hal's AT Hike';  that way I'll be able to tell you - down the trail - how much we raised!  :-)

International Child Care Ministries is a ministry of the Free Methodist Church of North America, a registered religious nonprofit organization with IRS 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt status in the United States of America. Also registered as such with the State of Indiana. Contributions to ICCM are tax-deductible to the extent that the law allows. 

I'll occasionally check in during my hike using my Facebook page - in case you're interested.  My projected start date is between March 9-12.  I'd like to hear from you!  Let's have some fun and raise some money for the kids!  

1 comment: