Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

THOUGHTS ON TURNING 68

On the occasion of turning sixty-eight, I thought I'd make a few statements and observations.

It feels strange that I've now lived longer than my mother did.  She died two months before attaining this age.

In my whole life, I never once looked forward to turning sixty-eight.  It happened with no fanfare, no cake, no special dinner, no family gathering, no candles, no singing...birthdays change as you get older!  Debbie did present me with a really special card, two new flannel shirts and a bag of chocolates!  My family all sent birthday texts to celebrate the event.  I got a birthday card from my 403b plan;  also one from Debbie's Aunt Bonnie Lou!  My Facebook friends inundated me with greetings!  It took me over two hours to respond to them all...

Thus far, I've faced no age that has presented itself as a crisis age.  I look forward to turning seventy because I'm committed to eating a whole package of Klondike bars that day!  When I turn seventy-five, I plan to eat a whole dozen DeAngelis cream-filled donuts (if they're still open).  

I have distinct liabilities:
  • My hearing grows increasingly bad!  It hinders my desire to be with people and even to attend church.
  • I no longer sleep well through the night.  An uninterrupted  four-hour-sleep is a welcome thing!
  • I've heard my father and siblings speak of arthritis problems for years.  I'm now beginning to experience this unwelcome guest in my shoulders at night - another sleep interruptor.
  • Throughout my younger years I loved staying up late at night and getting up early in the morning.  I've finally given up the late-at-night thing.  First, I gave up on late-night comedians.  Next I gave up on 10:00 PM shows - I missed too many endings.  Now, I find myself struggling to make it till 10:00 PM.  9:30 PM seems to be my new bedtime!
  • I still get up at 5:30 AM.  Often it's to drive for Lyft, but it's also because I can't take the pain of staying in bed any longer.  Sleeping in is a luxury I no longer enjoy.
  • I recently embarked on a renewed effort to lift weights, exercise and walk.  I had to reduce my effort due to lower back pain.
I also have significant blessings:
  • I serve a risen Savior and live with the hope of Heaven!
  • I have a faithful wife!
  • My family loves me!
  • I have two incredible grandchildren!
  • We own our home.
  • The Social Security Administration makes monthly deposits to my bank account!
  • The Free Methodist Pension Department does the same!
  • For the most part, I enjoy driving for Lyft at least several days a week which further advances my bank account.
  • Thanks to Troy (and help from friends and family) we have a wonderful two-car garage!
  • We own three vehicles:  2003, 2005, and 2008.
  • In addition, we own a cabin at the Tri-State Campground (thanks in part to Travis) and a 2001 fifth-wheel-camper.
  • My wonderful, soft bed is pre-warmed all winter by a mattress heater.
  • We have a freezer full of food and a well-stocked pantry!
  • Our dog seems to really like me.
  • The neighbors appear to think I'm okay.
  • We go on vacations at least several weeks every year.
  • I have friends from MANY different countries!
Did you notice that my blessings outnumber my liabilities?  They really do - by far!  I'm a fortunate and blessed man!  My life isn't as active and engaged as it was even four years ago, but I still have more to be thankful for than I'm capable of reviewing in a brief blog article.  Thanks be to God - let's see what this next year holds.

Will I hit the Appalachian Trail again?
Will we find an opportunity to serve in another country?
Will I finish any of the three books I've started?
Will I volunteer for Samaritan's Purse?
Will we make our much-awaited trip out west?
Stay tuned for the answers...

No comments:

Post a Comment