Search This Blog

Thursday, July 16, 2020

A TERRIFYING EXPERIENCE!!!!

During my years of ministry, I often attended church two or three times on Sundays that we were away.  It gave me a chance to see how different churches operated, to experience different liturgies, and to learn from divergent environments.  A side effect was being reminded just how hard it is to be a newcomer at a church! 
  • Which door should I enter?
  • How do I get to the sanctuary?
  • Where are the restrooms?
  • How can I look calm and relaxed (when I'm actually quite nervous and uncomfortable)?
  • I hope I don't miss any cues that make me stand out from the crowd...
Some churches I attended had greeters that handed me a bulletin and welcomed me.  In other churches, I simply walked through the crowd and quickly found a seat.  Occasionally, if someone noticed that I didn't have a bulletin, they'd give me theirs and go for another [that was nice].  I've also had people hand me an open hymnal (or liturgy book).  [Also nice].  

When the service ended, I was always anxious to get out and return to my family.  

While I served at the Cornerstone Church in Akron, Ohio, I was an associate;  therefore, I had considerable more freedom.  I loved hanging out in the foyer and watching for new people to enter.  I established some solid friendships by being the first warm contact at the church!  

One man eventually told me his progression of attending the church.
  1. "The first Sunday, I drove through the parking lot."
  2. "The next Sunday, I parked in the parking lot, but didn't come in."
  3. "Several Sundays later, I came in and you greeted me."
  4. "I've been here every Sunday since and God is turning my life around!"
The following is a quote from Robert Whitlow's novel, A HOUSE DIVIDED, (pp.406-407)
Sunday morning Corbin attended the service at the Hopewell church.  He sat with Jimmy and his family in the middle section of the sanctuary.  It was the first time since his wedding day that Corbin had walked through the doors of a church with a sense of positive anticipation.  He noticed a few sideways glances in his direction as they settled into their seats.
"Do people suspect I'm here because of AA?" he asked in a low voice.  
"If they do, it's not because I told them.  Would it matter?"
"Maybe."
"Well, it's probably because you're a new face.  Church folks are like cows in a pasture.  Anyone unfamiliar arouses their curiosity." 
Corbin chuckled and relaxed.  With his guard down, he was surprised how much he enjoyed the service, and mentioned it to Jimmy as they stood to leave.
Now, I know how inappropriate this is going to sound in a Covid-19 world, but how much better this story would have read if several congregants that recognized Corbin would have stepped up to welcome him and tell him how glad they were to see him there [even though he was a known alcoholic in the community.  They're welcome in our churches, aren't they?].

Is the church a museum for saints or a hospital for sinners?  For forty years, as a pastor, I tried to keep that balancing act.  For a season, I would preach to those who were established and try to help them keep growing [knowing that I was shooting over the heads of newer believers].  Then, I would lower my aim for a season and preach messages to help newer believers grow [knowing that I was reviewing material that was well-known by more mature believers.]  FRUSTRATING!!!!

Anyone who's been part of a church I've led will recognize this as a topic I frequently hit on.  When our churches start meeting physically again (which some have), as regular attenders we need to be SUPER AWARE OF PEOPLE WHO APPEAR TO BE NEWCOMERS!

While attending the Springfield Church of God, a woman stepped up and welcomed me as a newcomer (I'd been attending for over a year).  I rarely sit in the same general area - it's in my nature to move around and steal other people's seats!  😂  She didn't recognize me and so greeted me as a visitor.  Guess what?  I wasn't the least bit offended.  I met a new person as a result of her reaching out!

I've now been attending Bethel Evangelical Presbyterian Church for nearly two years.  I've attended Sunday School several times.  We're pretty regular in attendance (except for trips we make).  It's a friendly church and we've felt welcomed;  however, I would still estimate that I only know the names of about 15-20 people (and a bunch of them are family).  😁  It's hard becoming part of a congregation!  Can I get an 'Amen'?  I know people's faces and I appreciate their friendliness, but how am I supposed to learn their names?

Years ago I worked for six months as a prison guard at a minimum security prison in Kentucky.  Part of my job was to take residents to the weekly AA meetings.  I remember one time I spoke out and said, "Hi.  My name is Hal and I'm not an alcoholic."  They all laughed at me!  😂🤣  Typically, their response would be a universal and hearty "Hi Hal!"  No one is rejected!  Everyone is accepted.  No one is forced to participate or speak.  They're just genuinely glad you're there.  They've all been where you are!

It seems the church could learn a lot from Alcoholics Anonymous!

Jesus came to seek and to save the lost!  He was not willing that any should perish but that all  should come to repentance!  He's the One who left 99 sheep secure while He went out in search of the one that was lost!  His Church needs to have this same heart!  ESPECIALLY to sheep (saved or lost) that happen to wander into His Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment