Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

HEART CONDITION

 I just finished reading 'The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard' from Matthew 20:1-16.  

In this parable a landowner hired men to work for the day in his vineyard for a denarius.

Then he goes back out and finds more men at 9:00 and hires them.  

Again at noon and 3:00, he hires even more men.

Finally, at 5:00, he hires still more men.

Max Lucado describes these last men:

"They had been sitting in the square all day, shifting their weight from foot to foot, scuffing their sandals in the dust, waiting.

Unless someone came along soon with even the smallest request for work, they would have no money - and no food - to bring home to hungry families. 

When a prosperous farmer came into view, spirits lifted.

He would put the lot of them to work for the rest of the day.  They couldn't hope to earn much in these last few hours - a few sheckles at best - but it was better than nothing.  Gratefully, they joined the other workers in the field.   

 At day's end, they filed out of the fields past the owner with his money purse.  It was then that each man experienced an astonishing kindness.

A full day's wage was placed in each hand.

Though they had arrived late and accomplished little, they experienced the fullness of grace."   [Experiencing the Heart of Jesus, p.66] 

Max puts the emphasis on the needs and desperation of the last men hired.  They were surely overwhelmed with the kindness of this wealthy farmer!

____________________________________

Yet, I must confess that when I read this parable, I almost always identify with the first men hired.  I find myself thinking how unfair it was that they worked so much longer in the heat of the day and received the same pay as those who worked only for an hour.  I find myself thinking about hiding out the next day and only being "discovered" toward the end of the day.  

I know - that's sick!  But I have a high standard of fairness and this passage seems to violate that standard.  

Ah, but what if one of those workers was my brother?  I know he isn't feeling well.  I'm aware of how much he needs money and work.  His children haven't had new shoes in over a year.  His wife faithfully makes the best meals she can with their limited resources.  

I'm excited when I see him show up toward the end of the day!  I'm happy for him!  When he receives a full day's wage, I'm ecstatic for him!  How wonderful!  Praise the Lord!  What a generous and good farmer!  

Why can't I feel the same for all of the men hired later than I was hired?  


Kind and Gracious God,

I'm ashamed of myself.  I am stingy and vengeful.  I need spiritual heart surgery!  

I don't like the way I am.  I want to have the genuine interests of all people in my heart.    I want to really care about them and cheer for them when good things happen.  I don't want all my thoughts to be about me and just my family.  I want to be that guy who congratulates others on their good fortune;  who claps them on the back with real joy at the favorable turn of events in their lives!  I don't want to fake this, I want it to be the real overflow of my heart!   

Help me to view my neighbors, those who ride in my Lyft car, those who serve me at stores and restaurants, those I meet through the course of any given day, those who share a seat with me on the bus, at the doctor's office, or in church - with compassion and caring.   Help me to celebrate their victories and bear their burdens, for Jesus' and His Kingdom's sake.  Amen  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment