Search This Blog

Monday, June 21, 2021

LONGING FOR HEAVEN

I've recently been mulling over II Corinthians 5:1-10.  [Read it if you like...]

For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. For we live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

In my notebook I summarized this teaching as follows:

  • While in this body, we groan and are burdened.
  • Christians live by faith, not by sight.
  • Christians long to be at home with the Lord (v.8).
  • Consequently, we make it our goal to please Him (v.9). 
  • Finally - ultimately - judgment will come (v.10)!
I've been trying to evaluate myself in light of these truths.  It's been a challenge.  

Do I groan and feel burdened in this world?

It's an easy answer - YES!  I do.  

I deal with disappointments and frustrations nearly daily.  
  • rude people
  • disillusionment with our government
  • stress
  • physical pain
  • loneliness
  • despair
  • fear
Do I live by faith, not by sight?

Another easy answer - Not to the extent that I should!

It's easy and natural to respond to what we see.  It takes more effort to live by faith!  It takes intentionality, focus, time, priority...

I'm usually Lyft driving now.  Instead, I'm in my home office communing with God, studying His Word, and sharing my thoughts.  It is part of a deliberate attempt to reconnect vitally with the Lord!  It is an attempt to give Him an opportunity to help me live by faith...

Do I long to be at home with the Lord?

Everything in me wants to say 'Yes', but to be honest, I must admit that I don't think about Heaven every day.  I'm not sure I fully understand or appreciate the desire to be finished here and move on to the glories of Heaven.  

I've studied Heaven in the scriptures.  I've preached about Heaven.  During my growing-up-years, many of the hymns we sang focused on Heaven.  I have family and friends who - I believe - have gone there ahead of me.  I believe in the reality of Heaven as a real place that is beyond our ability to imagine.  

When I consciously review the above list of disappointments and frustrations, I can feel the urging and relief that can emerge from thoughts of being in Heaven.  

We just celebrated Juneteenth - a day to remember the end of slavery in our country.  These precious people left us a legacy of faith through music that helped them endure:
Soon I will be done with the troubles of this world, the troubles of this world, the troubles of this world.  

Soon I will be done with the troubles of this world - going home to live with God!

No more weeping and wailing...

I want to meet my mother...

I want to meet King Jesus...

The horrendous injustice they experienced deepened their faith in a God who would someday deliver them!  

That same God will also deliver us from the things that burden and discourage us!

Am I making it my goal to please Him?

The world wants us to believe that Heaven is our default setting.  They're wrong!  Hell is our default setting!  

Going to Heaven is for those who have lived to please Him and who know Him as their personal Lord and SAVIOR!  

I have answered this question and it has driven me to make some changes in my life.  

Each of us has to come to a similar place of evaluation.  

    Would Jesus give me an 'atta-boy' for the ways I'm living my life?  

    Would He be pleased with my priorities?

    Would my actions gain His approval?

    Do my words bring Him honor?

    Are my thoughts honorable?

    Is He pleased with the way I treat (or think about) others?

I think Sunday - the Lord's Day - was intended to be a day in which we would have time to reflect on these kinds of questions...

Do I fully realize that someday I WILL stand before the judgment seat of Christ?

He knows my heart.

He knows my thoughts.

He knows my intentions.

He loves me and forgives me.

He is gracious and kind.

But He cannot be fooled.  


 My Lord,

Thank You for being merciful and kind!

Thank You for Your patience and persistence in pursuing me! 

Meet me here daily as I search Your Word and seek Your will.

Strengthen my resolve to be Your man for this season!

           Help me to be a positive influence on my family, friends, neighbors,        and even the strangers that You allow me to intersect with on a daily basis.

May my love for You grow and become infectious in my interactions with others.

For Your Kingdom's sake.  Amen.


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment