Search This Blog

Thursday, November 24, 2022

NEW BRIGHTON THANKSGIVINGS

 As I lay in the dark this morning, I found myself remembering Thanksgivings from my early years in New Brighton, PA.  [Feel free to add your thoughts, memories or corrections in the 'comments' section.]

I was born in 1952, so my recollections are primarily from the mid-1950's and through the 1960's.  My home church was the New Brighton Free Methodist Church, which - at that time - was a large church that ran three buses that brought mostly children to Sunday School.  

My primary memory of Thanksgiving revolves around the Thanksgiving Community Worship that took place in the morning around 10:00 AM.  This was surely an awkward time for women who were preparing large meals for their families.  There may have been some years that my mom didn't go.  But my dad and I would still go (it was one of the rare things that the two of us did together).  

The service was moved to various churches that participated in the protestant ministerial group.  That was part of the fun and excitement:  seeing the insides of some of the other churches!  When the service was held at various Presbyterian or Lutheran churches, we would be exposed to remarkable pipe organ music!  Singing the great Thanksgiving hymns like

  • "Come, Ye Thankful People, Come"
  • "We Plow the Fields and Scatter"
  • "For the Beauty of the Earth"
  • "Now Thank We All Our God"
took on a whole new dynamic when sung to the accompaniment of these grand instruments and a full sanctuary of worshippers!  

We saw many of our neighbors at this community service.  We would always greet Dr. and Mrs. Phillips and others from our William Penn Way neighborhood.  All men wore suits and women were dressed in their Sunday best clothing.  Appropriate scriptures would be read by various community pastors.  A Thanksgiving message would be delivered by the host pastor.  

During this time period, the local ministerial group had considerable influence!  When they spoke out on issues relevant to the community, their words had significant impact.  Certain clergy members who had stayed in the community and gained considerable trust over the years were especially authoritative.  I only remember one name:  Rev. Matchett.  The Ministerial Association had clout in those days!  

There were other times that we gathered to worship, such as Good Friday, but none seemed to garner the community's support like Thanksgiving Day!  It was a celebrative time;  a joyful time;  a reflective time.  

We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
He chastens and hastens His will to make known;
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing,
Sing praises to His name:  He forgets not His own.

Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
Ordaining, maintaining His kingdom divine.
So from the beginning the fight we were winning:
Thou, Lord, wast at our side, all glory be Thine!

[And now, with all the organ stops open:]

We all do extoll Thee, thou Leader triumphant,
And pray that Thou still our Defender wilt be.
Let Thy congregation escape tribulation:
Thy name be ever praised!  O Lord, make us free!

And ALL God's people said:  AMEN! 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. We too had community Thanksgiving services in the 60's. It was only 3 churches, ours, the Methodist and the Baptist churches. Our community was more rural then and not any other churches that close. We also would have community sunrise services in the cemetery. Boy were those cold!! The thanksgiving services rotated between the 3 churches. This was when Rev. Robert Magee was our pastor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thsnks, Hal. I even sensed this same kind of goodwill in the ministerial community services in places where I was a minister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harold, I have never met you but have heard many stories of you. I wait, sometimes it seems like forever, for you to write a new chapter. I do enjoy reading your insights and look forward to them. I was told you were writing two books so I chalk it up to that…time!! Thank you for your blessings to me. I look forward to your next one! Blessings, Deborah Thompson Housholder

    ReplyDelete