Search This Blog

Thursday, September 14, 2023

FEARLESS, JOYFUL, TRIUMPHANT LIVING

We’re moving through the last (4th) chapter of Paul’s letter to the Philippians.  Yesterday I wrote about contentment (vs.10-12).  The day before that the topic was what we think about (vs.8-9).  Now, we embrace the crowning thought of Paul’s challenge (v.13).

“I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”

Ten words in the English language!  Ten absolutely phenomenal, extraordinary, exceptional words! 

But let’s not just snag these words from the text because we happen to like them!  These words apply to those who are Paul’s beloved brethren (v.1). 

Those who Rejoice in the Lord always (v.4).

Those who are anxious for nothing (v.6), but instead turn everything over to God in prayer!

Those who purposely dwell on things that are:

·         honorable

·         right

·         pure

·         lovely, and

·         of good reputation. (v.8)

Those who have learned to be content (v.11) in any circumstances!

DO THESE QUALITIES DEFINE YOUR LIFE?  [Maybe you ought to read them again?]

If this is the way you are living, then Paul’s ten audacious words apply to you! 

[You] can do all things through Him who strengthens [you].”

Most of my readers know by now that I love Eugene Peterson’s paraphrase, THE MESSAGE.  Here’s how he phrases it:

“Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.”

Are there any more encouraging words in all of scripture? 

It doesn’t matter what you’re facing:

·         terrible loss

·         financial crisis

·         loss of job

·         death of a loved one

·         a health crisis

Imagine the worst and add it to this list! 

If you’re following Paul’s formula for healthy spirituality - [You] can do all things through Him who strengthens [you].”

No comments:

Post a Comment