Search This Blog

Friday, November 6, 2015

I've Got Five Years Left

I remember when I was young, my mother claimed to have lost her sense of smell.  I didn't think much of it at the time.

Later in life, my oldest sister made the same claim.  Jeannette talked about how it affected her life and how much she missed the ability to smell.

I recently discovered that my other sister, Beverly, lost her sense of smell when she was in her forties.

You guessed it!  Sometime during the last year, my sense of smell dried up. 

It's strange.  It certainly affects your enjoyment of food!  I used to love the smell of the house when Debbie was frying ground beef and onions.  It was so wonderful when I would walk in to the smell of home-made chocolate-chip cookies or sweet rolls!  Those simple pleasures are gone.

However, there is an upside!  We recently rode through an area that was pungent with the smell of a skunk;  while Debbie held her hands over her face, I was undisturbed.

Anyway, I recently decided to do some research about this condition (called Anosmia = no nose  :-)) to see if there was anything I could do to reverse its effects.

Imagine my surprise when the first article I read was titled:  "Is loss of smell a 'harbinger of death'?"  The lead-line for this article on http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/283297.php states:  "A new study has suggested that, for older adults, being unable to identify smells could indicate mortality within five years."

The relatively brief article exposes two human research projects done in 2005-2006, and 2010-2011.  In these projects, the adults (age 57-85) were tested for their capacity to smell.  Before five years were up, 39% of those with significant smelling impairment had died as opposed to only 19% of those who could smell.

Hmmm...

So, I may have less than four years to live.  Sorry to have to share this news with you, Jeannette and Beverly!  [By the way, they've both lived way beyond the five year projection.]

Anyway, in case I knock off in the next several years, I just wanted to address a few things here for my friends and family.

I've lived a good life and have been blessed far more than I deserve. 
  • By God's grace, I was raised by great parents who launched me into life with great expectations. 
  • I received an excellent education at New Brighton High School, Roberts Wesleyan College, Asbury Theological Seminary, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, and Franciscan University of Steubenville! 
  • I married up! 
  • Debbie and I had three awesome kids (Travis, Troy and Tracie) who have brought us untold joy!
  • We enjoy our occasional contact with our precious grandchildren:  Rylie and Coltin.
  • We've lived in many interesting places - having moved somewhere near twenty times (poor Debbie).
  • We've made countless friends from the many places we've lived.
  • I've enjoyed the respect of parishoners and peers after forty years in the ministry.
  • We've lived and taught in China for three years!
  • We've eaten at great restaurants and seen amazing things far and wide.
  • I've been for a ride in some fancy, fast cars.
  • I've climbed some tall mountains and hiked in majestic woods.
Do you understand that this list could go on-and-on?  When I say that I've lived a good life - I MEAN IT!!!!

Besides, I'm really relying on a promise that Jesus made when He was speaking to His disciples in John 8:51-52.  Here, Jesus made a special point of saying that those who rely on him and have received the kind of life that flows in him and in God will never experience death.  Later, in John 11:26, He simply says:  "...everyone living and believing in me shall never die".

How have we missed this?

At some point in the future (perhaps within four years) you will hear that I've died. 

WRONG!

Jesus says, "Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death.”  Don't believe it for a minute!  I may no longer be visible to you, but I will NOT BE DEAD!  Jesus said so!  I believe Him! 

I will be very much alive!  More alive than I ever was on this earth!  I will be enjoying the indescribable joys of Heaven!  Don't wish me back - I wouldn't come if I could!

Do I want to die?  No!  I'm enjoying this life and hope I live for many years to come (like my sisters).  There are still many unfulfilled dreams.  There's the day-to-day joy of living life with Debbie!  There are trails to hike and countries to visit.  I want to play - a lot - with my grandchildren and be there for their special moments.  I want to support my kids.  I want to work for my Lord! 

Am I afraid to leave this world?  Absolutely not! 

So, with my smeller intact or not, I'm moving forward with confidence.  I just wanted to set the record straight:  Thanks to the blessed assurance of my Lord, I WILL NEVER DIE!!!!!  Woo Hoo!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

1 comment: