Search This Blog

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Job Searching #3

When Debbie and I decided to try to go to China, I began a search for an agency to help us in that process.  I wrote to a dozen agencies with a good reputation for assisting people attain that goal.  To my surprise, all I received were a few 'canned' letters.  I think I received one phone call that was never followed up on. 

I was truly shocked!  Didn't they realize that we were a hot prospect?  We had already decided that we wanted to go;  we didn't need any persuading!  I had already turned my five-month notice in for my job!  We were ready to be led through the process of getting a work visa and lining up a job!

Still, I couldn't get anyone to talk with me seriously.

Then, it occurred to me to contact the Free Methodist Church's VISA (Volunteers In Service Abroad) Department.  I don't know why I didn't do that first.  Somehow, I guess I thought that other agencies would be more helpful.

Upon our initial contact with VISA, we were treated seriously and with great care!  Deb Miller and her team assisted us with every detail - and there were many!  They walked us through the process of filing for a visa.  They counseled and trained us to prepare us for the Chinese culture.  They connected us to an in-country representative - Lena - who helped me prepare my resume and then submit it to several universities.

As most of you know, we went to China that summer to begin the most exciting three years of our lives.  VISA provided an annual retreat for all its China teachers.  Lena visited our Changchun Team twice a year to interview us and assist with any problems we might be having. 

If I was to go back to China - and I hope we can - there would be NO HESITATION to use the services of our own VISA Department!

Job Search Tip #3
Don't despise agencies or workplaces that you are familiar with!  They may actually provide your best opportunities for finding the placement you desire! 

No comments:

Post a Comment