Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Ten Coins

Is it too much for us to humble ourselves? 

What does humility look like?  Does it mean weak or poor?  Does it imply that you will be a door-mat for people to walk on? Does it imply passivity?  Can a humble person be successful? 

No!  Discard these illegitimate notions.  Humility is grossly misunderstood.  Jesus performed the greatest act of humility in history:  He left Heaven to be born as a human baby!  Was Jesus weak?  Was He poor?  Was He passive?  Did He succeed at His mission? 

We need a corrected view of humility.  Notice the following verse from Proverbs:  (29:23)  “Pride lands you flat on your face;  humility prepares you for honors.” ™  What?  Read that again:  “Pride lands you flat on your face;  humility prepares you for honors.” ™  

I read a book that defined humility as “an attitude of personal modesty, which recognizes that self’s priorities and preferences should be held in check so that others’ needs can also be addressed.”  Rather than focusing on self’s agenda only, humility causes people to consider their needs in the context of the greater world.  [The Significance Principle, Les Carter and Jim Underwood, p.44]

     Near the end of 1996, Kingston Technology Corporation, a California-based computer memory products maker, made headlines across the country.  Three months earlier Japan’s Softbank Corporation had agreed to pay $1.5 billion dollars for a controlling interest in the company, making its founders, John Tu and David Sun, enormously wealthy.  But as exciting as the buyout was, that is not what made headlines. 
     At that year’s office Christmas party, Tu and Sun announced to their 523 employees that they would be receiving $100 million in bonuses.  Forty million would be paid immediately, with the remaining sixty million set aside for future bonuses.  The average bonus amounted to slightly more than $76,000, while some were slated to receive up to $300,000.
     Employees were thrilled…but not surprised.  One employee explained, “Several times a year David and John make these spontaneous gestures.  There’s an envelope on your desk and you open it and say, ‘Thank God I work for this company.’  Then you put the envelope away and start working twice as hard.” 
     Tu said he could use only so much money for himself and added, “We want to do a lot of things to return to the community, the people who have made this possible.” 

 Humble people see beyond their own needs.  The word balance describes them best since they are neither too selfish nor too deferring.  Unlike people who worry about jockeying for prime assignments or for special treatment, humble people do not take themselves too seriously.  A sense of community, not ego, seems to drive these people. 

In order to have an appropriate measure of humility, one must also have a healthy sense of pride.  Healthy pride realizes that personal significance is never achieved by undercutting others.  Persons with healthy pride want to establish themselves as viable, respectable individuals, and to that end cooperate with the larger community. 

Is there a check-list for keeping humility in balance?  Some starter thoughts:
ü  Do I nurse thoughts of envy or jealousy?
ü  Am I an angry person?  Do I hold a grudge?
ü  Do I notice and affirm the positives in other people?
ü  When something good happens to someone else, do I think, I wish that would happen to me?
ü  Do I get caught up in my own busyness so much that I overlook others’ needs or feelings?
ü  Do I work hard to cover my negatives, not wanting others to know my weaknesses?
ü  Do I withdraw from people, even when I know it may not be the best?
ü  Do I get defensive when someone suggests improvements I could make?
ü  Do I secretly wish others would handle problems with the same common sense that I use?
ü  Is maintaining a proper image so important to me that I deliberately misrepresent myself to others?
ü  Do I interrupt others too easily in mid-sentence?
ü  Do others see me as hard-headed or stubborn?

In all seriousness:  Are you as aware as I am of how far I am from genuine humility?  Is the Holy Spirit as faithful with you as He is with me at pointing out my persistent sense of pride?  Do you lose that sincere experience of humility as quickly as I do?  Suddenly, I’m so humble that I’m proud of my humility!  J  Are you as plagued as I am with the notion that it’s all about me?  Do you have to fight pride and self-centeredness as hard as I do?  Are you occasionally embarrassed at how deft we’ve become at bringing the conversation around to our achievements or interests? 

What’s the cure for this insatiable need/desire for attention?

There was only one Perfect Man!  I’m convinced that all of us will struggle with personal pride and self-centeredness as long as our feet are firmly planted on this earth.  Some of us will make small gains.  I read a wonderful story about Mother Teresa.  When she had been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, someone came up to her and asked her if there wasn’t at least a little pride in having received such a noteworthy award.  Her response was golden.  She asked the person:  "When Jesus was coming into Jerusalem for His Triumphal Entry, do you suppose for a moment that the donkey thought all of the fanfare was for him?" 

How many times do we accept the praise, when in reality it should go to others or to God?  The late singer, song-writer, and musician, Larry Norman developed a simple way to direct people’s praise not to him but to his Lord:  the one-way sign (index finger pointing to the heavens)!

I read this week of a woman who begins every day with ten coins in one pocket.  Every time she compliments someone, she takes one of the coins out of that pocket and puts it in the other.  If she slips up and criticizes someone, she moves a coin back to the first pocket.  At the end of the day, the emptying of her pockets is a ritual of evaluation on her humility!

What a wonderful way for us to intentionally gauge our humility. 

Jesus’ humility was purposeful.  He came to show us what God was like.  He came to reveal the Father!  He modeled perfect dependence on God.  He gave us a vivid picture of what it would look like to live full of the Holy Spirit!  He modeled the godly life flawlessly and then beckoned to us saying:  “Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect”.

No comments:

Post a Comment