Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2016

A Guilty Conscience

Having just written about the annual sessions of the Pittsburgh Conference, I thought I'd follow it up with something a little lighter.

My mom died  a few months after Tracibeth was born (1981).  She was without a doubt the dominant force in the shaping of my life!  Although I rarely write or speak about her, in one way or another I miss her every day.

Above all, she was a deep godly influence on me through her love for God, commitment to missions and practice of prayer.  However, she also transmitted something else to each of her four children:  an amazing sense of humor!

This humor was resident not only in my mom, but also in each of her two sisters.  I loved my Aunt Goldie and Aunt Sylvie.  They were so fun to be around.  Contagious laughter always marked their visits - along with an abundance of practical jokes!

I guess the 'Walton humor' continues on to some extent through Jeannette, Ira, Beverly and Harold. So be it...

I thought you all might enjoy a story today:

One year, back in the 1960's, the area bishop was unable to attend and lead the annual sessions of the Pittsburgh Conference.  As a result, an administrative leader from Free Methodist Headquarters in Winona Lake, Indiana, was sent to take his place.  I honestly don't remember who it was - which is probably good.

Whoever it was had just gotten married and had agreed to fill in for the bishop on the heels of his honeymoon!  How's that for a sacrifice?

Of course, this was known to the people of the Pittsburgh Conference and they were duly recognized for their entry into matrimony!  As a matter of tradition, they were appointed to the 'Evangelist's Cottage' on the upper row. Appropriate signs of congratulations decorated the humble abode that year!

But my mother hatched her own plan.  She sneaked into the cottage during the opening sessions and opened their luggage.  Quickly, she loosely stitched his pajamas and her nightgowns closed.  Then, of course, she bolted away with her secret.

The next day, she waited nervously through the sessions for some acknowledgement of her misdeed. Nothing was said.

She continued to wait.  Again on day three, nothing was said.

Day four.  No acknowledgement of her practical joke.

Conference would end the next day and she feared that her attempt at humor had not been received well.  Her conscience bothered her so much that she decided to confess to her prank.

Seizing a private moment with the couple, she confessed to having sown their sleeping garments closed.  They had absolutely no awareness of what she had done!

Ah, the joys of being newlyweds!

No comments:

Post a Comment