Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2016

Disconnecting

I'm on retreat at Mt. Zion Retreat Center in Roaring Branch, Pennsylvania. I've been coming here for years to be alone with God and allow Him to attempt to recalibrate my soul.  Roaring Branch is near Canton, which is about an hour north of Williamsport on Route 14.

I'm a half-hour drive from my brother, Ira's, home.  I always get a visit in with him (and Joyce) while I'm in the area.

Mt. Zion is a quiet, out-of-the-way place.  I'm usually the only guest here.  In recent years they've given me a room in the lodge, which is a three-floor, fully fledged retreat center.  I'm in room 10 on the second floor this week.  It has a small desk, a double bed, a lamp and stand, and a desk chair. This is the first time I've had a room with a private bathroom.  I'm quite comfortable.  There's a refrigerator and microwave on the first floor for me to use.

This area has changed a lot over the last decade or so.  The gas recovery business has brought jobs and wealth.  Mt. Zion seems to have benefitted from this phenomenon.  I'm noticing much-needed improvements (including my new bathroom).  I also just noticed several massive windmills on the mountain overlooking Mt. Zion!

This is the ideal place to disconnect.  I'm ten miles from Canton and its stores, restaurants and cell service.  I get an occasional bar of service on my phone, which once-in-a-while lets a text message squeeze through.  I never had internet here before, but now am blessed (?) to have wifi in the retreat house.

It's not uncommon for me to spend five days here and not see or talk with anyone (except for the visit to my brother's house).  I read and nap and type and pray and think in a random schedule that suits me perfectly.  I live in the same clothes all week.  I don't shave.  I don't eat.  There's no television. My phone can't ring.  I'm surrounded by mountains.  The place is appropriately named.

I've noticed that I always feel lonely when I arrive (which is usually late on a Sunday).  Entering the silence and solitude is a difficult process to describe. I know I've been privileged as a pastor to have the freedom to practice this discipline.  There've been times when I've done this two (and even three) times a year!

I find that I sleep a lot the first day - usually in frequent naps.  My schedule changes radically.  I may read or write late into the night and then sleep.  I usually take a walk in the woods at least once a day. I play guitar a little and sing and praise the Lord.  I bring about fifty books with me so I have the resources I think I'll need to plan preaching series.  [I'm here this week to pray, plan and prepare for the Tri State Family Camp in July.]

It seems to take a full day to disconnect.  I never expect to get much done the first day.  I know I'll read and nap and think.  I journal a lot while I'm here; it helps to cleanse my thoughts.

Gradually though, I do disconnect.  My mind settles down.  I'm old-school, so I usually start my planning with a yellow pad and pencil.  Eventually, though, my fingers begin to play on the keyboard. At some point I always reflect on how wise I was to take that summer school typing class between my junior and senior years.  :-)

Debbie has never come with me.  She seems to know how precious this 'alone time' is for me.  I did take Travis on retreat with me once for several days.  I got him a private room.  He read constantly. We had some good talks and bonding time.  I remember that trip fondly!

Connecting with God has clear benefits.  I can count on a time when the thoughts begin to flow and my fingers can't move fast enough.  These are often the times when I will work till 3:00 AM without a stop.  When I awaken refreshed, I can step right back into the flow and continue the work. Having no distractions is an amazing blessing!

Getting clear with God is rich!  I've known for some time that I've been letting a distance grow with Him.  The last eight months have been full of disappointments for me.  In my sorrow, my relationship with God has suffered.  I've been needing some face-to-face time with Him.  Here I am, Lord!

I know that some would not enjoy this experience.  I also know that some who would enjoy it can't seem to make it happen for one reason or another. To some extent, I believe our constantly 'plugged-in' culture is detrimental to us in almost every way.  Our spiritual relationships - although occasionally buzzed by something we read or see on Facebook - suffer from a lack of solitude and silence.

Being alone in a room with Him for several days means you're going to eventually have to converse with Him.  I typically find that most of what I have to say takes the form of confession (a rare topic in Christianity these days).  For me, it's like taking roto-rooter to a clogged drain.  Once those channels are flowing again the communion is once again rich!

Day one is ending.  The silence is overwhelming.  I feel like I'm not alone in this room...

No comments:

Post a Comment