Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH!

I'm fresh back from a week-long visit to Disney World in Orlando!  It was fun!  The rides were exciting and there were endless things to see and do.  I know we were very privileged to be able to do this!  I'm grateful. I mean, really, Disney!  It's supposedly the most fun thing a family can do together - right?

I remember a time - after we had de-nested - when I was feeling bad about the fact that we'd never been able to take our kids to Disney World.  Between low salaries and poor money management, it just never happened.  We'd talked about it, but just couldn't do it.

On an occasion when all three of our kids were home for a visit, I called them together and apologized that we'd never been able to go on elaborate vacations.  I never anticipated the response I got...

All three kids stumbled over themselves to assure us that our vacations had been awesome!  It triggered an avalanche of memories and stories.  They talked about how much they loved our annual camping vacation at Pymatuning State Park and other trips.  Highlights were:

  • cooking over the campfire
  • eating roasting ears cooked in the fire
  • going to Conneaut Lake Park for a day
  • riding the waterslides
  • taking the canoe out for rides
  • hobo dinners
  • sleeping in tents
  • taking friends along
  • riding bikes
  • playing games in the camper on rainy days
  • going every year to the Canfield Fair
  • camping in Aunt Bev and Uncle Dick's backyard
  • visiting Uncle Ira and riding his four-wheelers
  • going white-water rafting at Ohiopyle
  • the annual trip to Sea World and Geauga Lake in Aurora, Ohio

The only negative thing they said was that the day we were packing to leave on these vacations was the worst day of the year!   Ha ha ha ha...according to their report, I was always frustrated that we weren't able to leave at the time I had appointed.  [Blush!]  Maybe I was a bit intolerant.  But they assured us that once we were on the road, it was fun, fun, fun!

All this in spite of two different vacations when we had three flat tires (including the camper).  We hit a rainy week at Carter's Caves, Kentucky one year.  I was called home from vacations to do funerals four years in a row! And I clearly remember that the money always ran out before the week was over...

They refused to accept my apology.  My guilt-ridden take had been in error. We had done a better job than I had realized.  And besides:  they're all grown up now;  Tracie even has her own kids!  And finally - WE MADE IT TO DISNEY [mental fireworks here with the Disney castle in the background]!!!!!

So, a reminder to those who might still be raising your family:  It's not about the money you spend or even the places you go!  It's about the ways you engage your children and have fun together!  

WARNING: During those days, Debbie and I often came home feeling like we needed a vacation to recover from the vacation!  We worked hard to insure that the week was fun for the kids, and often exhausted ourselves doing so.  

The upside is that once you de-nest, you get to go on nicer vacations and focus on enjoying  each other! Woo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment