Search This Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Late For Church!

For thirteen years, I was the pastor of the Oakland Free Methodist Church in East Liverpool, Ohio.  At that time, almost all of our churches had Sunday evening worship services.

I tried to make these times as enjoyable as possible.  One of my tactics was to vary the location of our meeting.  Sometimes we would use the sanctuary; other times we would meet in the fellowship hall.  Other suitable rooms were also utilized.  During the summers and early fall, we would occasionally meet at the picnic shelter on the Tri-State Free Methodist Campground.

The services would often be filled with music.  Having David Kelly and Martha Anderson at the instruments made for a delightful worship experience.  Our casual gatherings usually were led by Ron Kelly along with Brad Cowsert and sometimes David Pinkerton.

Some Sunday nights were even turned into game-show types of gatherings. Some were more focused on small group experiences or even competitions. Lots of delightful memories linger from those times together.

One Sunday evening, I had come early to set things up in the fellowship hall. After preparing my plans, I sat down in my reading chair to rest a bit.  I fell into a deep sleep.

Meanwhile, the folks gathered in the fellowship hall in preparation for things to begin.  7:00 PM came and there was no pastor.  Everyone assumed I'd be along shortly since I had a reputation for beginning promptly. However, ten minutes passed and still - no pastor.

Eventually, my administrative assistant, Karen Kelly, decided to check on me to see if I was ok.

As she knocked lightly and opened my door, there I was emerging from a sound sleep in my chair!  I was shocked that I had missed the starting time for our service.

I quickly grabbed my Bible and notes and hurried to the fellowship hall slightly behind Karen.  To her credit, she had not publicly announced my faux pas - although she had told Debbie.

I guess parishoners are not the only ones who sleep through services!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment