Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Valley Avenue

Sled-riding was something I absolutely loved to do when I was young!  That was the pre-plastic era.  Sleds were made of wood and attached to steel runners that we would rub with steel wool and candles to make them go faster!  Occasionally, someone would show up with a four-man toboggan; usually six kids replaced the four men!  :-)

Before I could leave the house, my mother would help me to dress for the occasion.  [Think the scene from THE CHRISTMAS STORY.]
She bundled me up with layers and wrapped me in a long scarf.  She pinned my mittens to the sleeves of my coat!  Then came a stocking cap before the hood of my coat was tied tightly under my chin!  I think I was the only kid who was sweating while sled-riding!

I would then meet a couple of friends down at the Honor Roll on Mercer Road and together we would walk the short distance to the top of Valley Avenue.

Now, Valley Avenue was a fairly steep road with a stop sign at its top.  It also intersected Mercer Road on a curve.  This made it an extremely dangerous intersection when there was snow on the ground.  So, our city leaders saw fit to close this road during bad weather periods.  Road-blocks were put in place with oil pots to alert traffic that the road was closed.

During these times, kids claimed Valley Avenue as our official sled-riding hill! Half-way down Valley Avenue, the road leveled off (just beneath the New Brighton football field).  Most single-sledders gradually came to a stop on this section, and would make the slow return to the top - pulling their sled!

However, we became adept at loading two or three kids on a sled.  This enabled us to gain enough speed and momentum to pass through the flat section and enjoy the next down-slope to the bottom of Valley Avenue!  I'm guessing it was the equivalent of almost a mile of sledding!

Of course, that meant a LONG walk back up the hill - pulling our sleds!  Ugh!

On days when school was cancelled, we would sled-ride literally all day long! It seemed that only our hands and feet got cold.  We warmed our hands over the oil-pots - which didn't make our mittens smell very good. Cold feet and hunger would generally be the things that eventually drove us home.

Those were fun days with the kids from Crescent Heights, Brighton Heights and Oak Hill all joining together in good, wholesome fun. I remember very little conflict or bullying.  Everyone was thrilled to be out of school and free to have fun in the snow!

Road care is better now and I don't think they close Valley Avenue anymore. Too bad!  The neighborhood kids have no idea what a thrill they're missing out on!  

1 comment:

  1. I too, have tremendous memories of the days when the snow was just right for sled-riding with my neighborhood friends. At the time, we all thought our street had the biggest hill in Maryland, therefore, allowing us to have more sled-riding fun than anyone else in the state (ha,ha). However, after returning to visit my old neighborhood as an adult, I realize my perception of our grand hill was not so accurate. Anyway, I prefer to remember it with the mind of a little girl having a blast!
    We would sled ride all day, walking up the hill time and time again, not giving it a second thought.
    We had lots of kids in our neighborhood, so hooking our sleds together was not uncommon at all. One day, I unhooked from the "train," and ended up under a car. It happened so fast, I wasn't quite sure what had happened. Fortunately, I was fine, and continued with the fun - nothing was going to take me inside. I was more embarrassed by the fact I made everyone else stop having fun for a while.
    I love The Christmas Story (you'll shot your eye out!), but was never bundled up quite like you - my mom did have me put bread bags on my feet before putting my boots on, supposedly to keep them dry. I can't remember if it worked or not.
    Anyway, it's always nice to reflect on fun times!!!

    ReplyDelete