Search This Blog

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Buying Sneakers

I remember my Mom taking me to Pic-Way to buy my tennis shoes.  I was embarrassed about that, but, at least I occasionally got new ones!  When I became a teenager, I begged her to buy me a pair of Converse tennis shoes; she conceded and took me to Northern Lights and bought me a pair for $15. I remember how upset she was to pay such a price!

She infected my thinking!  Ever since, I hate to pay a lot of money for a pair of shoes!  I squawk and complain when Deb tries to talk me into spending $50 (or more) for a pair of shoes!  In my head, I know that shoe prices have gone up considerably since 1967, however, part of me still thinks that paying over $15 is criminal!

I've been stating recently that I need a new pair of sneakers for summer. So, today Deb took me to Gabe's to buy me a pair for Father's Day!

As usual, she quickly became distracted at the entrance along with hordes of other women who were sitting on the ground sorting through boxes of jewelry (most of which was a tangled mess). Meanwhile, I cruised through the store and picked out several items that I found interesting.

Then I got to the shoe section well ahead of her.  I quickly perused the stacks of size 11 shoes and found a pair to my liking.  Just as I was removing them - Deb arrived.  Here are the shoes I selected:
Cost - $35

Deb seemed to feel the need to give me other options.  So, soon I was trying on pair after pair of sneakers of a variety of brands, styles and colors!  

She liked this pair:
Cost - $50

Which, of course, is out of the question since I had already found a pair I liked for $35.  But, she's persistent and the shoes kept coming at me!  

"How about this pair?"
Cost - $55

Need I say more?  However, I must admit that they would go nice with my new daily uniform of blue jeans and T-shirt!  

"Do you like these?"
Cost - $50

They were too soft;  almost like they were made of foam rubber!  Besides, they're RED!  Are you kidding me?

"These are nice!  They're a lot like the ones you're wearing now..."  [Tactical move!]
Cost - $45

"They're OK, but what about the ones I picked out before you got here?  Don't you like them?  They're only $35!"

She didn't seem to hear me.

Suddenly, I remembered the advice our family doctor had given my Dad MANY years ago:  
"Leonard,
Never skimp when it comes to two things:
your shoes and your bed!
You spend all day in your shoes and all night in your bed.
Spend the money on these items as an investment in your health!"

Should I follow Dr. Chadwick's advice?  Should I shuck out the extra for these sneakers?  I was feeling the pressure!

"Here's a nice pair;  they're young-looking!"  [Big smile!  -  The heat is on now!]   
By the way, I'm 65!!!!!

I was beginning to feel the need to compromise!  Besides, I was on the verge of a panic attack and really needed to escape the shoe department!  By the way, did you know that green is my favorite color?  Yep, just like God, I LOVE the color green!

But, there was still time on the clock!  "I really like these, plus, you've never had blue sneakers before!  And, they're only $40."

That was it!  I caved!  Sorry guys...

So, these went back on the shelf...

...and these went home with me!

But I don't think I'm allowed to wear them until Father's Day.

I hope they wear well because I need some time to recuperate before going through this process again!  Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment