Search This Blog

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Here Are The Reasons

I attended the annual sessions of the Pittsburgh Conference on Friday and Saturday.  While there, we captured the following picture including the four most recent pastors of the Kittanning Free Methodist Church.
Hal, Wayne Sawyer, Forrest States, and Mel McRoberts

At the conclusion of the conference, Bishop Roller read Forrest States' name out as the new pastor of the Kittanning Church.  That made it official:  I'm retired!

An old friend came up to me during the conference with a very blunt question:  "Hal, why are you retiring?"

Being 65 had almost nothing to do with my decision;  actually, I had expected to lead a church well beyond this age.  However, there are several answers to his question.

Foremost is that I recognized I'm not leading with the same passion, enthusiasm and creativity that has characterized most of my ministry years. I vowed to myself many years ago that I would step out when I realized that was happening.

A second reason is my hearing deficiency!  In spite of buying some very expensive hearing aids, I still struggle in most settings.  I'm thankful I can still hear, but the loss is far more of a problem than most people realize!

Another reason:  I didn't like being a 'commuting pastor'.  The 62-mile trip took 75 minutes to drive. I found myself increasingly fighting sleep while driving.  Because of the trip's expense, I slept on the floor in my office two nights a week - that got old fast!  ;-)   Being away from Debbie three days a week was challenging.

There are other reasons, but I'll omit them here.  Suffice it to say that I'm excited about our future. Debbie and I have been given the blessings of good health and a strong marriage.  There are things we look forward to pursuing individually and as a couple.

Only yesterday we had lunch with Dale W____, Free Methodist Missions Director for the Middle East.  We crossed paths with him a number of times while we were in China.  He opened doors for us to consider in his area! Exciting possibilities!  :-)

But today, I'm very grateful for the family and friends who wish us well on our new journey!  The Kittanning FMC congregation was very gracious in parting with us.  I'm very excited for them as they welcome Pastor Forrest (and Elsie) States this morning!  I believe their future will be bright and fruitful!

Last weekend, Debbie hosted a very enjoyable retirement party for me (with a lot of help from our kids and her family)!  I was honored!  I've received lovely cards and gifts!

I've said it many times and I'll say it again:  When the Bible talks about the prosperous man - it's talking about me!

Kind and Gracious God,

Thank You for helping me through these many years of schooling and ministry!  

Thank You for my family and their love and care!

Thank You for the abundance of friends You've blessed me with through the years!

Thank You for the kindness and cooperation of my congregations!  I have many memories of exciting times of ministry to ponder during these retirement years!  

And thank You for the hope of a renewed purpose and direction for the years that remain!  

May I always be Your faithful servant...

Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment