Search This Blog

Monday, August 28, 2017

If You Like Novels

For the better part of my life - I didn't read novels.  However, for my wife, that's all she reads!  When we would leave for a vacation, she used to plead with me to read a novel - just to relax! Occasionally, I gave in;  but then it was right back to reading things that would help me to be a better pastor and leader...

Things began to change when we went to China.  I had a lot of time and my library was at home.  My staff had bought me a Kindle that made it easy to buy Kindle books even from China.  I discovered a few very talented authors who piqued my interest: Charles Martin, Richard Paul Evans, Angela Hunt, John Grisham, Terri Kraus and others.  


I am in awe of writers who can create a story and develop it with skill and intrigue!  I, like others, get drawn into the story and am captivated by its twists and turns!  Now that I'm retired, I am reading more novels than anything else.  I enjoy them!  Many nights, Deb and I sit side-by-side in our living room and never turn the television on.  In case you've forgotten:  A good book does that to you...


In the last two weeks I stumbled on a new series;  I'd like to recommend it.


Dr. Kevin Lehman has been known through decades as the "birth order guy".  He has written more than 50 books, including The Birth Order Book and Born to Win, has made thousands of house calls for Fox & FriendsThe ViewToday, Bill Bennett's Morning in America, CBS's The Early ShowThe 700 Club, CNN, and Good Morning America.  [from the fly-leaf]


Now he has teamed up with Jeff Nesbit, a former senior communications official at the White House and former director of public affairs for two prominent federal science agencies, a strategic communications adviser and the author of 20 novels. He writes At the Edge, a weekly column for U.S. News & World Report.  [from the fly-leaf]


Together, they have produced three novels in a series titled THE WORTHINGTON DESTINY:

   









Luckily, I picked up the first novel, A PERFECT AMBITION, at Ollie's discount store.  It was a risk.  I really wasn't expecting it to be very good.  However, after a brief stall, I started into it and finished it in three days. Then I ordered the second installation, A POWERFUL SECRET, and couldn't wait for it to arrive.  I ordered the third book, A PRIMARY DECISION, immediately after starting the second - and read it in a day!

The stories are about a wealthy American family (think, the Kennedy's).  Lehman weaves the stories with characteristics of his 'birth order' observations;  however, the novels remain intact and the style is not 'teachy'. The novels are in a 21st century setting and the plots are realistic and fascinating.  

The first book is about the Worthington's oldest child, Will.  [It's essential that you read the books in order.]  The second book is about the middle-child, Sean.  The final book is about the 'baby' of the family, Sarah.  

There are under-tides that involve political corruption, high finance, environmental issues and family secrets. The story-line bounces back-and-forth as multiple threads are followed.  The books are not described as "Christian", however there is evidence of faith manifested in the principle characters.  This is realistic stuff!  

Debbie is now reading the last of the three and is equally enthralled by them!  

Having discovered a treasure - I just thought I'd pass it along!  :-)   Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment