Search This Blog

Monday, August 28, 2017

Thoughts on Church

In June, I began my retirement.  Debbie and I immediately faced the decision of where we were going to worship.  Freedom Church in New Middletown was an obvious choice to explore for several reasons:

  • Troy and Missy attend there.
  • I led this church from 2003-2012.
  • We already know most of the people who attend there.
But we both agreed that there were other churches we would visit and consider for our new Christian home.  One church is near home on our former, frequent route to Kittanning;  as we passed we consistently observed an overflowing parking lot at this country church.  At this point, our decision making process continues...

This process has surfaced some personal responses that I'm going to air. These are my thoughts, not Debbie's.  I mean no offense to any church mentioned or referred to.  I've been considering writing this blog for a couple of months, but have delayed out of fear of being misunderstood.  I hope you'll give me some latitude here.  :-)

Keep in mind that I have led churches for over forty-two years.  My record reveals some effectiveness at helping churches to make needed transformations to engage and sustain vibrant ministry.  What most people don't know is that this required me to set aside my own 'likes' and 'dislikes'. :-)  I led the churches I served to make decisions based on reaching lost people.  This process always creates friction with long-standing members who don't always see the need for change.

Now, however, that I'm no longer leading a church, I find myself longing for the things that are meaningful to me personally in worship and ministry.

Two things leap to the foreground:

First, the worship environment.

I understand the reasons for darkened worship centers (notice that we seem to have left 'sanctuaries' somewhere in the past).  I know that videos and PowerPoint presentations are more powerful in a darkened environment.  I realize that it tends to direct our attention to the stage (it used to be a platform) where the band, actors and presenters are.  I am aware that it provides intimacy and privacy for the worshiper to respond.

I just miss the light!  For years I led a church that was physically built to show off God's magnificent creation.  The builder had done a study of the sun's movement.  He designed and located the sanctuary with a triangular (symbol of the Holy Spirit), stained-glass window whose reflection moved down the front wall of the sanctuary during the weekly worship hour. Gradually, the reflection centered on the brass cross sitting on the Communion Table.  Every week, it left worshipers in awe of God!



Bottom Line:  I find a bright, well-lighted worship center to be far more uplifting than the darkened environments that are so common today.

Second, the music.

Ahh, Hal is getting old!  Yes, that's true, but hear me out.

I love music!  I always have.  I learned to sing in church.  I love to hear parts. Church is one of the few places where we sing together!  Four-part harmony brings me joy.  [One of my frustrations is that so much music in church is pitched too high for me (and most men) to sing comfortably!]

Since June, we've attended a couple of churches that sang only hymns;  I loved it!  I also love:

  • anything performed by Phil Keaggy
  • the Gaither Vocal Band
  • the Beatles
  • the Delfonics (ok, I dated myself there)
  • Herman's Hermits    :-)
  • the Praise and Worship music of the 80's
  • Twila Paris and Amy Grant
  • Michael W. Smith
  • Casting Crowns
  • Mercy Me
  • Third Day
  • Wintley Phipps
  • ...I could go on and on...
One of the reasons I love Family Camp is because my brother-in-law, Jeff Diddle, does such an amazing job of weaving music as a vehicle of worship! We sing some of the latest contemporary songs, praise choruses, gospel songs, hymns, and folk music.  It's called "blended worship".  

It's easy for me to grow bored when I attend worship and don't know any of the songs!  I want to sing!  I want to praise the Lord!  

Believe me, as a church leader I've had to defend the church's music constantly through the years. Most of the time the church was presenting music that was outside of my personal preferences!  I understand the need to be relevant and to appeal to our contemporaries who may 'try us out'.  I also know that there's a lot of good music out there that can be used to direct our thoughts and worship toward God!  

Recently, we attended that country church.  Again, the parking lot was brim full.  Inside the brightly lighted sanctuary we were warmly greeted.  We heard three lengthy scripture readings and prayed a powerful prayer of confession.  We sat in the eighth row;  when the offering plate went by I added my check to a plate that was already covered with folded checks!  I got to sing bass to the hymns (and one praise song).  There were nearly 200 present and all age-groups were evenly represented.  I thoroughly enjoyed the experience! One drawback:  I didn't know anyone there (although Debbie did).  

I'm not sure where we'll land permanently.  I love to worship!  Always have! Sunday has been my favorite day of the week for years!  I guess it's likely that we'll land in a church where we can worship meaningfully while surrounded by like-minded people who love and serve Jesus with similar passion...

No comments:

Post a Comment