Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

GRANDMA HAIRE

Because I was the youngest member of my family, I had missed knowing my Grandma and Grandpap Walton.  I did, however, take great joy from knowing and interacting with my Aunt Goldie and Aunt Sylvie.  My Grandpap Haire had also died long before I was born.  So, as you can imagine, my Grandma Haire played a favored role in my life.  I guess I always thought I was special to her since I was her youngest grandchild!  

She was born on January 1, 1889, and died on April 28, 1975 (almost a year before Travis was born).  As I received it, she moved to New Brighton by riverboat, coming up from southern Ohio.  Interestingly, my Aunt Goldie and Uncle Eber lived in/near Pomeroy, Ohio.  We would make an annual trek 'down-the-river' to visit this segment of our family about once a year.  It was an adventure for me because Uncle Eber was a dairy farmer which opened up all kinds of new experiences for this city boy.  Because I was the last grandchild, I didn't connect much with my actual cousins.  They seemed more like aunts and uncles to me.  But I did connect with my second-cousins who were my age:  especially William, Sandra and Jeannie.  

There's an old picture that crops up at family reunions.  It shows me and William sitting inside the 'two-holer' behind Aunt Goldie's house.  My cousin Effie whipped the door open and snapped our pictures before we could react.  When the picture circulates, it always does so with the same question:  "Which one's the country-boy and which one's the city-slicker?"  The shot shows William sitting with his pants all pulled up around his knees;  while, of course, I'm sitting there with my pants down around my ankles!  Ha ha ha ha...

For years, I have held a private opinion about Grandma Haire.  I've since mentioned it to a few other family members to discover that they had made the same observation.  Because of her heavy facial features, I often wondered if we have some Native American blood in our family line.  A couple of my aunts show this characteristic as well.  So far, I don't think anyone's been able to verify that curiosity.  

For as long as I knew, she lived with my Aunt Dorothy and Uncle Lester on Marion Hill in New Brighton.  We would go to visit her periodically.  We also saw her almost every Sunday at church.  My parents sat in the third row from the front on the right side.  Grandma, Vera (?) and Nettie Thomas sat on the other end of the pew.   

To be honest, I didn't have a lot of interaction with her.  I look back now with regret that I never sat down and interviewed her about her life.  I know it was not an easy life.  My grandfather was an alcoholic and a stern man.  She was forced to take in other people's laundry to get money to feed her five daughters and one son (my Dad).  

She was not an outspoken woman, although my cousins who grew up with her in the house might disagree!  

I remember several times when she came to stay at our house for a few weeks.  My Dad brought her quilting frames so she could continue her work.  It took up a good bit of the living room and was very exciting for me to play under (as my father had done when he was a boy).  These are pleasant memories for me.  As I reflect back, these visits were probably to give my aunt and uncle a break or a chance to travel.  

My parents also brought Grandma to our house to babysit me from time-to-time.  I don't remember much about these times, but I do remember her sleeping in her chair.  I would say to her, "You can go ahead to bed, Grandma."  She always responded:  "Oh, I was just resting my eyes."  

At Christmas every year I would buy her one of two gifts:  either a box of ribbon candy or a booklet filled with rolls of Life Savers.  She always made a big fuss - no matter what I got her.  

When I was a young man establishing my own family, I decided that the Haire family should have a reunion.  I gathered as many addresses as I could and sent out a letter addressed to the family of Effie Elizabeth Haire.  I got a rash of calls and cards from my aunts (and a few cousins) informing me that her name was NOT Effie Elizabeth, but Effie Leota (Archer) Haire!  

I've noticed a rather strong feminine trait that seems to run in the Haire family line.  My aunts were outspoken, strong-willed, independent/stubborn women.  Sometimes they scared me!  Now, don't mistake that I loved them.  There was Aunt Goldie (I had an Aunt Goldie on both sides), Aunt Peg, Aunt Audrey (who I hardly knew), Aunt Dorothy and Aunt Mildred.  I saw Aunt Dorothy (and her family) a lot because she also attended the New Brighton Free Methodist Church.  They could also be a lot of fun - especially Aunt Mildred!  I think I see a trace of this independence and strong-mindedness in our Tracie and also in my niece, Sandee.  :-)  

Back:  Mildred and Audrey
Front:  Dorothy, Leonard, Peg and Goldie

I remember one Sunday just before I left for college, I slipped in and sat with her on a Sunday morning.  I hugged her and told her how proud I was to be her grandson!  

When she died, my father, brother and I were driving to the funeral home a good bit early.  As we drove, my father - who was also a man of few words - said to Ira and me:  "Your Grandma was a good woman.  She was a good, Christian woman."  He seemed to need us to know what we already knew.  

When it was time to divide up Grandma's things, there really wasn't much left to divide.  As I recall, most of my cousins were given a handkerchief or doily.  Because I was preparing for the ministry, I was given a small, wooden communion cup holder that she had ordered from Rex Humbard Ministries.  Apparently, there were times when she had gone a long period without communion, so she had ordered this cup-holder that was made from wood from Israel.  When Rex offered communion over the television, Grandma prepared her own elements and took communion with him.  I value that small Haireloom to this day!  

 

The day of her funeral was a meaningful time for me.  I was a young man who was just starting his family.  At the funeral home, I stood with my Dad and brother a little off to the side of all the activity.  At one point I noticed that Dad, Ira and I were standing exactly the same:  arms crossed and legs apart.  Why do we remember silly things like that?  

I still think of Grandma from time-to-time.  One of the things I am most grateful for is the rich, Christian heritage that was a large part of my foundation.  "Thanks, Grandma, for staying faithful to Jesus even through the tough times you faced.  Someday, I look forward to some long talks so I can learn a lot more from you and about you!"  


No comments:

Post a Comment