Search This Blog

Sunday, February 25, 2018

AT - PREP

Two weeks from today I will - Lord willing - be on the trail!  Preparing to hike the Appalachian Trail is a gargantuan project that has several facets.
  1. preparing myself physically
  2. preparing food and planning food/supply shipments made by Debbie
  3. selecting/purchasing gear and making decisions regarding the backpack and its weight
I've been doing some training on the North Country Trail which is near my home.  It has some challenging climbs that are helping to prepare my legs for the Smokies.  I try to do exercises every-other-day that include an upper body workout and lots of stretching.  I'm also on a low-sugar, low-carb diet to drop additional weight before I hit the trail.  

Thru-hikers have a voracious appetite and tend to dream about food all day!  I will carry about a week's worth of food with me when I leave.
BREAKFAST:
  • oatmeal/flax/metamucel plus rehydrated fruit
  • home-made granola with dried milk  (can be eaten with added water or as a snack)
  • breakfast taters  [see video]
LUNCH:
  • I have two tubes, one filled with peanut butter and the other with jelly.  I will carry tortillas for sandwiches.  I'll also have beef stick, cheese, and Tracie made me jerky and fruit roll-ups!
SUPPER:
  • I'm making many meals using the freezer-bag cooking system.  [see video]
  • I'll eat in town and eateries along the way.
  • Especially on the southern end, churches and other groups set up feeding stations on the trail to the delight of thru-hikers!
  • I'll buy resupply items in towns occasionally along the trail.
  • Debbie will strategically ship me resupply packages from time-to-time.
I'm trying to keep my pack as light as I can to make my journey more enjoyable.  I have traditionally carried over forty pounds, but I hope to keep it well under thirty for this trip.  You can read the blog article "AT - IT'S GETTING REAL" for a list of most of my gear.

Some are asking how I feel?

Physically, I feel really good.  I am obviously very excited to get started.  However, I do have anxiety.  I have never backpacked for more than a week!  What makes me think I can stay out there for nearly six months?  I have concerns about ticks, poisen ivy, getting sick, bad people, snakes and bears.  I'm apprehensive about staying dry and warm during the typical, serial rainy days that the AT is famous for!  [Thru-hiker saying:  "No rain - no Maine!"]

What do I look forward to most?

  • the independence of the experience
  • adventure
  • great scenery
  • camaraderie with other thru-hikers
  • testing myself
  • standing on Mt. Katahdin in central Maine!  
Here are a couple of videos you might enjoy:  




No comments:

Post a Comment