Search This Blog

Monday, May 21, 2018

AT - REFLECTIONS

QUESTIONS:

Do you miss the trail?

Yes, at times I wish I was still hiking.

What was your most exciting experience?

Reaching well-known stopping points like Neel's Gap Hostel, the Nantahala Outdoor Center and Damascus, Virginia.

Did you have any animal encounters?

Just rounding a bend and facing a massive long-horned steer.

How hard was it?

VERY HARD!  The mountains were steep, rocky and never-ending!  It felt like I was constantly going up!

Did you get blisters?

No, but I stopped frequently to duct-tape my feet because I had 'hot spots'.

Did you have sore muscles?

No, but my legs would get very tired.  When I would kneel or lay down I would get cramps in my legs.

What was the weather like? 

I experienced lots of rain, several days of snow, a few days of extremely high winds, a hail-storm, and persistent fog.  About half of the time, I was provided very nice hiking weather.

Did you make new friends?

I made lots of friends, but most lasted only a few days because of differences in hiking speeds.

Did you hike with others or alone?

I hiked alone, except for three days when I traveled with a Colorado friend whose trail name was Teddybear.

Did you acquire a trail name?

No, I did not.  Although most people select their own trail name long before hitting the trail, I followed the original tradition of being named while hiking.  It simply never happened.  Had I stayed on the trail longer, it probably would have eventually occurred.

Will you hike again?

Yes.  I may even do more of the trail this year.

What obstacles did you face?

I ended almost every day completely exhausted!   Quite a few days, I just put my tent up and went straight to sleep - sometimes without even eating.

If you followed my blog then you know I developed hip problems that sent me home for three weeks.

I dealt with loneliness and missed my family A LOT!!

What did you enjoy the most?

The spectacular, panoramic views, most of which can only be experienced by hiking the trail!  I also camped alone several times by a creek;  that was VERY enjoyable!

Did you ever run out of food?

No, but I came close.  I did run out of water one day and that was miserable!

Where did you get your water?

From streams, springs and ponds.  Most backpackers carry a water filter;  some use chemicals to make the water safe to use.

What did you learn about yourself?

That's a BIG question that I'm still reflecting on.  I was surprised at the loneliness factor because I actually looked forward to the trip because of the independence and being alone.  I guess I learned that I need and enjoy my family far more than I initially realized.

I also came to realize that I'm far more dependent on God when I'm backpacking than when I'm home.  I talk to Him more and enjoy His presence more while I'm in the wilderness!

I realize that I'm less outgoing than I used to be.  I tend to stay off by myself rather than engage with others.  I think my hearing disability affects me in this area.

I obviously don't have the rugged, mental toughness that keeps you on the trail from beginning to the end.  The daily exhaustion was wearing me down.  I'm a little embarrassed about this and also a little disappointed in myself.  But, as my good friend David Rose taught me:  "It is what it is."  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Love the Q/A. Had to fun for the kids to follow your trip too. Love that you’re thinking of doing more hikingthanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bev. A great experience AND we helped ICCM a little bit! 😀👍🏼

      Delete