Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2018

AT - TROUTDALE, VA. BAPTIST CHURCH

I arrived at the Old Orchard Shelter at 2:30 PM on Wednesday, April 26. Two young men were taking a late lunch before moving on. I’d passed them and they’d passed me. After three days of hiking in mist, rain, high winds and a flooded trail - I was at my wits end. Everything I had (except my sleeping bag) was soaked;  no dry clothes left. I was beginning to shiver (a sign of hypothermia).

When I complained to the guys, they told me that 1 1/2 mile up the trail was VA Route 603. Four-and-a-half miles east on that route was the small village of Troutdale and a Baptist Church that operated a basic, bunkhouse hostel.  I told them I didn’t know if I could walk that far...

That’s when one of the guys said it:  “Gee, Hal, have a little faith “.  That was all I needed!  I strapped my pack on and headed up the trail. In no time I came to the road. There was very little traffic, with most of it heading the opposite way. After road walking over a mile, the sun came out and I stopped to take my rain gear off. As I was doing so, I suddenly heard a car passing, so swung around as quickly as possible and stuck out my thumb. The hatchback quickly pulled over and an older couple jumped out to greet me and clear space for my pack. They had been volunteering for trail maintenance all day and offered to take me the short distance to the hostel.

The hostel sits up on a hillside behind a lovely old United Methodist Church (that closed a decade ago).

It’s a simple frame building with two rooms;  each side has two rough wood bunks, a few folding chairs, a microwave and a coffee-maker. A pillow and pillowcase are provided. You can get a shower at the back of the old church - a towel is provided. There is an outside water source and there are clothes-lines for hanging things to dry.  There is also a picnic table and a port-a-potty. There are no other services available for many miles. It’s a little haven in a wilderness area.

I saw that Bible Study was at 7:00, so I showered, ate and put my cleanest clothes on before heading down to the brick, Baptist Church across the street. [They bought the UMC property some years ago and built the hostel.]
Brick Troutdale Baptist/white former UMC

In attendance:  Pastor Ken Riggins, his wife, Mary, Rick (the property caretaker), Ross (an older man who camps on the property for seasons while doing trail maintenance), and two women. The study was on Romans 1:16f;  it was rich and insightful with many relevant cross references. It ended at 8:30.

Mary agreed to take me to Marion, VA Thursday morning where I took a couple of ‘zero’ days to do laundry, rest and dry out. She got me there very early and I had breakfast at a Bojangles!  šŸ‘šŸ¼  I couldn’t access my room till 1:00 PM, so I stashed my pack and headed a mile-and-a-half to a laundromat.  On the way back I:

  • had some French fries at McD’s
  • bought some snacks at Dollar General, and
  • resupplied at Walmart  

I got my room at 1:30, and unpacked everything to dry all my gear. Then I used the hotel computer to do a blog update and corresponded with friends and family. Times like this are also essential for recharging phones and power packs!  Since I had been dreaming about Pizza Hut, I decided to walk the mile to eat there. I opened the door - it was raining. I thought it over for 30 seconds and decided:  “I’ve been walking in the rain for four days.”  So, off I went!  It was wonderful!

Friday I had all day to relax since Mary wouldn’t pick me up till after work at 4:30. So, I walked two miles (one way) to the Marion Post Office to mail some gear home. I bought fruit at a grocery store and had lunch at a Hardee’s (one of my favorites). The whole afternoon I just hung out in the hotel lobby.
That evening I began to get acquainted with Rick and Ross.  Ross did the AT at the age of 52 in 1991. Rick did his thru-hike in 1996. They we’re both very encouraging!

Mary had suggested slackpacking for a few days while continuing at the hostel. [They don’t charge, but ask for a donation. Most typically give $20.]. Saturday, she took me to the Partnership Shelter and I carried a very light pack to Dickey Gap (14 miles).

A major bicycle trail runs through the area, so I shared the hostel, off-and-on, with bikers and hikers. Sunday morning I attended Sunday School and worship. Pastor Ken gave a tremendous study in a similar format to what he had done Wednesday. His gifting is clearly as a teacher!  The congregation has been shrinking with the declining population around Troutdale. He has served his people for twenty years and works the family farm as well. You can tell that he and Mary are deeply appreciated.

After church, Ross took me to where I had left the trail (on Wednesday) and I slackpacked to Dickey Gap again (from the opposite direction). He invited me to eat with him and Rick that evening. šŸ˜€

Ross picked me up at 6, and we had a delicious pot of potatoes, carrots, steak and sausage;  Rick brought corn. Ross also served a wonderful fresh salad featuring ramps - oh my - so good!  During the meal, he offered to drop me off and pick me up again on Monday for one more day of slackpacking (12 miles). He promised a spaghetti feast on my return. Then Tuesday he would return me to Atkins to continue heading north. So, I feasted once more as a guest of Ross and Rick.

I felt genuinely coddled - by Ross, Rick, Ken and Mary - BUT ALSO BY GOD!!!  I had struggled with loneliness, so God gave me a family for a few days.  PTL!!!

Ross's camper and Rick's little home.

Ross is on the right. He is 79 and has been a believer since he was 10. He was leaving soon to return home (Mississippi) to take his wife to Gatinburg for two weeks. Rick is an outgoing guy and has excellent interactions with hostel guests. He lives in a very small building near the hostel and cares for the church property. He reminded me of an old friend, Dave Shilling. Partly because of his good looks, but also because they share a similar charm AND passion for God!


No comments:

Post a Comment