Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

NEED A LYFT?

I kept pretty busy for the first fifteen months of my retirement, but then I started to feel some boredom.  I would occasionally wake up with no distinct plan for the day.  My consumption of television news began to grow.  I felt a drag on my motivation.  Some days I was accomplishing very little.
  • "It's too cold to work outside today."
  • "I don't want to waste the propane to heat the garage."
  • "I'll just do some reading and sorting today."
I considered looking for a part time job, but held back because I don't want to be tied down.  

Then I got online to see what kinds of part time jobs were available.  I considered Dollar General, WalMart, and Chick-Fil-A...but just wasn't motivated to move on any of them.

Then, I came across two ideas that captured my attention.  
  1. teaching English as a second language online, and
  2. being a Lyft driver.
I'm moving forward with each of these, but pursued the Lyft driver position first.  I got as far as their request to do a background search - and stopped.  For several months they pursued me to continue the application via texts.  I still kept the 'pause button' on.  

In early December they tempted me with a $400 bonus if I continued and gave one ride by December 20.  I immediately told them to begin the background search.  I submitted all of the required documentation - which was promptly accepted.  The background search took some time.  

On December 24, I was approved to drive.  I spent the full morning online doing all of their company training tutorials.  I was very impressed with the training materials and felt fully equipped to begin driving.

I picked up my first rider on South Avenue in Youngstown and took him home from the grocery store.  It was one mile and I made a little less than three dollars.  :-)  

After giving a few more rides (on Christmas Eve) I headed home happy - and $30 richer!  

Right after Christmas I received a text to all Pennsylvania drivers that beginning in 2019, we had to have a 2004 vehicle or newer;  I was driving a 2003.  :-(

I gave a bunch more rides that week and then quit driving on New Year's Eve.  Bummer!

I immediately began looking for a 2005 Camry, figuring I would be able to drive it for at least two years.  I found one and bought it.  After waiting for the title, getting some repairs, getting it licensed and inspected, I was approved to drive again!  Woo Hoo!  I pushed to get my 50th ride in before we left for vacation, because it qualifies me for a bonus!  [Lyft is big into bonuses for drivers!]

I love my new job!  I can drive when I want, as long as I want.  I do my own scheduling.  I get paid every Tuesday - straight into my bank account!  I'm doing research into how I'll be affected by taxes and am trying to calculate that against my expenses.  I've clearly got a lot to learn.  

I've found the company to be very helpful and cooperative.  They even gave me the $400 bonus, even though I missed the deadline by a few days!  :-)  

I'm meeting new people every time I drive.  All are nice and some are happy to talk while we ride together.  I've gotten some tips - some in cash and some online.  Tips are all mine!  My longest ride so far was from Poland, OH to Cleveland!  That was nice!  

I feel useful.  I'm providing a service to the community.  Many people without cars use Lyft (and other ride-sharing services) to do their shopping as well as getting to and from work!  I get to provide a cheerful greeting and a piece of candy to lots of people.  Hopefully, I can be a bright spot in their day!  I've had people of many kinds in my car.  I've heard languages I couldn't decipher.  Some people hop in front with me - I like that.  Others choose to ride in the back seat.  

The Lyft App for drivers is comprehensive and provides all of my directions.  I still make occasional wrong turns, but by-and-large, it's easy!  I'm actually excited to get home from vacation and start driving again!  

If you're interested in driving for Lyft, please use my referral code in the process (or contact me).  You'll get a bigger bonus if you go through me than if you go directly to their website;  and, of course, I'll get a bonus too!  My code:  HAROLD88049

If you have questions or want to talk more about it, contact me:
halinasia@psmail.net
(724) 944-3881
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment