Search This Blog

Saturday, July 20, 2019

SUMMER LAUNCH

At this stage of my life, I can’t always remember what I did yesterday, but I can provide details about where I was and what I was doing 50 years ago tonight!

I was a young seventeen-year-old and had just graduated from high school six weeks earlier. Three days after graduation, I drove my ‘63 Chevy to Philadelphia and moved into my brother’s attic for the summer. He had arranged a roofing and heating ‘helper’ job for me with his father-in-law. I made $2/hour, which was a good wage at that time. 

I was spreading my wings of independence under the watchful eye of my brother.  I worked hard hauling shingles all day and pounding ductwork together in the evenings. In addition, I cared for my boss’s yard.  It was an exciting and adventurous time!

Family Camp was ingrained in my life, so I made a short trip home for the closing weekend in July, 1969. The camp ended on Sunday night and I said my good-byes and headed for the Pennsylvania Turnpike for the six-plus hour drive back to my brother’s home. 

It was an emotional time for me as I said goodbye to my parents and many friends. I felt the sadness as I drove into the darkness of my trip. It was warm and late when I left so I rode with the windows down and my stereo system blasting. 

Suddenly, (I think it was about 10:30 PM) my station’s programming was interrupted by a special NASA report from THE MOON!   They reported that the lunar module had landed earlier in the evening and that in minutes we would be hearing from Neil Armstrong as he set foot on the moon!  

I pulled my car off the road and laid on the warm hood while gazing at the very moon where two American astronauts were about to plant the Stars and Stripes!  The excitement and wonder I felt were immeasurable!

My personal life was exploding with possibilities as this unbelievable event was unfolding. Traffic  was light as I laid in the darkness and listened to those iconic words:
“That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.“
I was in awe!   A man was walking on the MOON!  I inspected the orb with my eyes and my imagination!  

Eventually, the regular programming resumed and I continued my journey with thoughts spinning in my head!  I was young, but my adult life was beginning as I took my first steps into a future filled with endless possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment