Search This Blog

Sunday, October 27, 2019

PASTOR APPRECIATION

Debbie and I both happened to be awake early this morning and so we wound up spending some time praying.  Among many people and situations, we prayed for our pastor and all pastors who were preparing for this Lord's Day worship.

I recalled how excited I used to be on Sunday mornings.  Sometimes I could hardly wait for the worship team to sit down so that I could share what God had helped me put together for that Sunday!  There were Sundays that I literally trembled with anticipation!

We currently attend the Bethel Evangelical Presbyterian Church in Enon Valley.  Our pastor is Jerry Dodds.  He is a humble, mild-mannered man - except when he's preaching!!!!!  When he begins to deliver the message he takes on a boldness, confidence and authority that drives the message into the hearts of those who are listening.

His messages (and prayers) are biblical, theologically accurate, and instructive.  He holds strongly to the traditions of the church and passionately presents Jesus foremost!  I don't believe I've ever heard him reference an Old Testament passage (or story) without connecting it in some way to Jesus.  I think most of the adults even listen carefully to his children's messages which embody the same characteristics on a simpler level.

I suppose I could be considered a responsive listener.  I have a tendency to respond to the message with quiet amens, laughter (at appropriate places), holy giggles, and other signs of agreement.  These were probably learned in my growing-up environment when Free Methodists were a good bit more verbal in their responses.  I honestly don't want to disturb others, but I can't seem to help giving assent in some (hopefully) quiet way!

Pastor Jerry's current series is on the five solae of the Reformation.  Today's message was on "Sola Gratia' or "by grace alone".  It was grounded in the stunning revelation of Ephesians 2:4-7,
But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
He began the message with a wonderful picture of grace!   Richard Nixon had stepped down from his presidency in humiliation after the Watergate investigation revealed his guilt.  He lived in isolation.  However, upon the death of Vice President Hubert Humphrey, Nixon attended the funeral   He stood alone.  No one spoke to him or greeted him - until President Jimmy Carter entered the room.  President Carter quickly assessed the situation and almost spontaneously moved toward Mr. Nixon.  He put out his hand in greeting as he spoke loudly saying, "Welcome home, Mr. President!"

What an extension of grace!

I wonder many Sundays if the people in the congregation are actually listening?  I can hardly keep quiet!  Honestly, if you show up on Sundays and listen carefully, you will consistently be educated in the truth of God's Word, the traditions of the church and the way to live pleasing to God!  Thank you, Pastor Jerry!  We appreciate the work you do to prepare for our worship times!

I've been blessed by so many pastors over the years!
  • When I was young, (on the way home form church) I told my parents that Pastor W. P. Jones had five different benedictions that he used to close the service.  They were astonished!  Even more so when I then quoted all five of them word-for-word!
  • While attending Roberts Wesleyan College I was mesmerized by the preaching of Elwin Cutler and V. J. Mannoia!
  • While attending Asbury Theological Seminary, I was inspired by Paul Rees, Bishop Earl Hunt and Dr. Donald Demaray!  I tried to emulate them in my early years!
  • During my six years in Akron, Ohio, I often slipped in to hear Brenda Young's messages again during the second and even third services!  :-)
I took preaching seriously during my years of leading the church!  I worked hard on messages with the belief that God could use them to grow, inspire and correct His people!  Those messages always convicted me long before anyone else had a chance to hear them!  I miss that part of my role now that I'm retired.  

I throw a two-fold challenge out there:

First, to pastors:  Plan ahead and prepare with passion!  Your people need it and deserve your best efforts!  Preaching inspires, teaches, comforts, strengthens and encourages believers and calls the lost to a better way of living that offers hope and eternal life!  Invest and reap!

Then, to parishoners:  Listen actively and expectantly!  Pray specifically for your pastor as s/he prepares messages!  Make it your goal to take something home every week to focus on:
  • a new truth,
  • an action point,
  • a thought to meditate on.
And for those of you who struggle with what to say to your pastor when you greet them while leaving the service - just shake their hand, look them in the eye and say "Thank you, pastor!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment