Search This Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2020

GROWING UP WITH THE JONES TWINS

I grew up in New Brighton, PA.  I think half of my life was spent in the rooms and hallways of the New Brighton Free Methodist Church!  During my young teen years, Reverend W. P. Jones was our pastor.  He was a good pastor and a good preacher.  One day, when I was quite young, my parents were having a conversation in the car about him on the way home from church.  They were talking - of all things - about his benediction.  He would always raise his hands as though blessing the entire congregation and pronounce his benediction.  I spouted out from the back seat:  "Reverend Jones has four benedictions!"  My parents turned and looked at me with questioning looks.  I proceeded to quote the four different benedictions that he consistently used to close our services.  I think they were shocked!  I guess I was an observant kid!

He and I had a sort of game that we played on Sundays.  As he stood in the foyer greeting people, I would try to sneak past him.  But he almost always saw me, grabbed me, hugged me, mussed up my hair and sometimes even kissed me!  If I did win the game and got past without him catching me - I suddenly realized that I had actually lost the game.  There might have even been a time or two when I went down through the basement and came up through the sanctuary again to give him a second chance!  He consistently let me know that I was valued and loved!  I will forever love him for that!

But the best part of having him for a pastor was his identical twin sons, Daniel and David.  Believe me, they had a reputation!  They defined the term PK (Preacher's Kids)!  They were mischievous and fun-loving!  They were one year younger than me and we thoroughly enjoyed our years together while they lived in New Brighton!

There are endless stories of their exploits.

One time Daniel had displeased his father.  His Dad told him to sit still while he went to get the paddle.  Meanwhile, David came through the room and Daniel talked him into switching places with him.  I'm not exactly sure how that turned out in the end, but it's characteristic of their antics.  I've heard them tell stories of switching places in classrooms over the years too.

We occasionally sat together in church on Sunday nights.  That never turned out very well.  I remember quite a few times when Reverend Jones stopped in the middle of his sermon and told the twins to go sit with their mother and me to go sit with my parents.

David and Daniel were very athletic!  They particularly loved going to Pirates games in Pittsburgh.  They would go early and buy the cheapest tickets.  Then, as the game proceeded they would gradually use their charm with the ushers to work their way down further and further into better and better seats.  They were infamous at getting baseballs and having them signed by the players.

We had tons of fun every year at Camp Meeting in East Liverpool, OH.  Ten days of endless pranks and fun!  I remember singing in the showers as we drained the last of the hot water out of the tanks!  Reverend Jones and his family ran the camp store in those days.  It was the gathering place for everyone on the campground after the evening services.  Hamburgers and hot dogs and milkshakes and lots of candy!

But, as adulthood arrived, the years and miles separated us.  They both ended up in the Indianapolis area.  The few times they made it back to visit at Family Camp, I was off somewhere and missed them.  It made me sick when I returned and heard that the Jones twins had stopped by for a visit - and I missed them!  They were good friends and we had a heart connection!

I haven't seen them in years - sad to say.  In recent years, however, I have reconnected with Daniel via Facebook.  We've exchanged greetings and items of interest many times.  It grieved me several months ago when he contacted me and asked me to pray for David.  He had been discovered to have a pretty severe case of cancer.  My heart has ached for David, his wife, Rhonda, and their three children ever since.  Yesterday, David went to his eternal home!  He's now rejoicing with his Dad and Mom and others who preceded him there.  But more important, he's with the Lord that he loved and served throughout his entire life!  How much better can that get?

Kind and Gracious God,

Thank You for giving me such good friends throughout my lifetime!  I've been a prosperous man when it comes to friendships!  Thank You specifically for Daniel and David Jones and the wonderful times we had together as teenagers.  Thank You that they shared a love for You with me and their families.  Thank You for their Dad and his faithfulness to You through his fruitful ministry!  

And now, I lift Rhonda and their children to You.  Provide them comfort in their loss.  Be an ever-present Provider for their needs.  Guide them throughout their lives and bring each of them close to Your heart.  Also bless Daniel, Debra, Mark, and Paula as they deal with the loss of this special brother.  Grant each of them a special peace that can come only from knowing and loving You!  

For the Kingdom's sake.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment