Search This Blog

Sunday, April 11, 2021

CHURCH VISIT

 I visited a relatively large church in our area this morning for their worship service.  They advertise a 'Classic' service (with the message via live feed) in one part of the building with a 'Response Venue' in their main auditorium (which had very comfortable theater seats).  

I found the church easily and the primary entry was obvious.  I arrived a few minutes late (my bad) and entered a darkened auditorium.  I stood in back for the first song, waiting for my eyes to adjust so I could find a seat.  Every-other-row was roped off and most participants wore masks (even during worship).  From what I could see, the auditorium held about two hundred with a pleasant mix of ages.  

[They were scheduled to do this again at 10:45 AM.  They also have a Pittsburgh campus where the 'live feed' is presented.  Why did we adopt the term 'campus' for church property?]  

The platform was HUGE with approximately ten worship team members spread across it.  I appreciated that this space was not cluttered with tons of ugly equipment, stands, amps and other paraphernalia.  I did not know the songs that were being presented, but the words were right on!  The music was excellent - nearly professional.  The worship leader gave announcements, prayer and exhortations that were presented well.  

They made mention of placing offerings and information cards in a receptacle as we left the auditorium.  I didn't see it as I left.  I'm old-school enough that I missed the offering.  When did we begin this process of not taking offerings?  I assume that it is thought to create awkwardness for visitors?  I always felt strongly that giving our tithes and offerings was a vibrant and essential part of our worship participation.  But, that's just me...

Worship teams can be awkward.  Sometimes members can be distracting by their dress, movements and drama, but I've learned that I can remove those distractions by closing my eyes.  ;-)

At one point the worship leader encouraged us to stand and wave at our neighbors.  That was kind of weird, but a necessary adaptation to our COVID world.

The screen presentations were done extremely well.  Getting the words when we need them is OFTEN a problem in churches, but this team had someone very capable in charge!  I must say, however, that providing the words for the songs is becoming less and less necessary.  Even in this progressive church, I observed VERY FEW people singing along with the team.  To my personal distress, singing in worship is gradually being relegated to a very minor role.  

The pastor's message was excellent.  He (in this case) started with an engaging visual display and used it to get people's attention by having them participate in an exercise.  I don't remember how he tied it to his message, but it was effective in getting our attention.  The message was given without notes and was very well done.  It was biblical, thought provoking and challenging.  

I noticed an elderly couple arrived and sat near me just as the pastor began his message.  This happened some when I was still leading the church.  A few would deliberately come when they expected me to preach.  Something about that always bothered me.  I was amused when the pastor ended his message and led us in prayer;  this couple got up and slipped out again during the prayer.  I guess they didn't need the singing or the prayer.  :-)

When I was leading the church, I often mixed things up just to create change.  On a few occasions, I began the service by getting up and giving the message.  When people walked in and the message was ending, you could see the shock on their faces.  It was similar to what we occasionally saw during Daylight Savings Time Sundays!  :-)

After his prayer, I was surprised that he simply made a few announcements and then dismissed us.  I had expected the worship team to return for a closing song, but that didn't happen.  

I stayed in my seat a short while as people began to leave the auditorium.  What I observed made me sad.  People simply got up and walked out of the auditorium [I really liked the word 'sanctuary'], walked straight through the foyer and into the parking lot where they headed for their cars.  I saw no visiting taking place.  I got the distinct feeling that they didn't know one another (therefore, how could they effectively care for one another?)

Smaller, country churches typically break this pattern.  Often in the churches I served, people would stay and visit long enough that I left and went home - telling them to lock the door on their way out! 

So much was done right here.  Excellence characterized the entire hour and eight minutes!  Yet, worship is illusive.  You can't guarantee that it will take place.  The Spirit blows where it wills!  We can create an environment, but we can't make people worship!  


No comments:

Post a Comment