Search This Blog

Sunday, April 18, 2021

WHERE'S JESUS?

I wrote a blog article two weeks ago titled, "Good Saturday" where I gave a biblical answer to where Jesus was on the Saturday following His crucifixion.  It was not read a lot, but those who did review it found it to be informative.  

According to the New Testament and the church year, we are currently in the period known as Eastertide.  
Eastertide is the period of 50 days, spanning from Easter Sunday to Pentecost Sunday. It is celebrated as a single joyful feast, called the "great Lord's Day". Each Sunday of the season is treated as a Sunday of Easter.   [Wikipedia]

 Biblically, this was the period during which the resurrected Jesus appeared to His followers on selected occasions.  

...Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas [Peter], then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me [Apostle Paul - post Pentecost].    [I Corinthians 15:3b-8  ESV]

Pentecost will be celebrated on May 23, 2021.

But let's return to our primary question:  "Where's Jesus?"

Some would say that He's in Heaven with God, the Father.  And to a certain extent, they'd be right.  This can be shown by many scriptures;  none better than Jesus' own confession before the leaders in Luke 22:66-69.

When day came, the assembly of the elders of the people gathered together, both chief priests and scribes. And they led him away to their council, and they said, “If you are the Christ, tell us.” But he said to them, “If I tell you, you will not believe, and if I ask you, you will not answer. But from now on the Son of Man shall be seated at the right hand of the power of God.”  [ESV]

What is He doing there?  According to Romans 8:34-39,

Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: 
“For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

Others might respond that Jesus is in His Church.  And to a certain extent, they'd be right.  This can also be shown by scriptures such as Matthew 18:19-20.

Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”  [ESV]

 Actually, this verse doesn't imply being in a church.  The emphasis isn't on a place, it is on the presence of two or three who are gathered in His name!  

_____________________________________

A PERSONAL WORD:

Thankfully, I've experienced the presence of Jesus (God) many times during worship in churches.  However, I've also endured services in churches that were dry, poorly planned and conducted, and seemed more leaned toward performance than participation.  These environments are too prevalent and very dissatisfying.  

                                            _______________________________________

Still others might say that Jesus is in their hearts.  And to a certain extent, they'd be right.  This is seemingly testified to in Revelation 3:19-20.

[the resurrected Jesus speaking from Heaven]:   “I correct and punish those whom I love. So be eager to do right, and change your hearts and lives. Here I am! I stand at the door [of your heart?] and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in and eat with you, and you will eat with me.

Evangelical Christian faith has long emphasized accepting Jesus into your heart.  Many traditional hymns reference having Jesus in your heart.  

Finally, the Apostle John would report:  [Revelation 1:9-16]

I, John, your brother and partner in the tribulation and the kingdom and the patient endurance that are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos on account of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet saying, “Write what you see in a book and send it to the seven churches, to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea.”

Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest. The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength.   [ESV]

Sounds like Jesus to me! 

This episode from John's life was from a period when he was exiled to live in isolation on an island.  I'm writing this from an island in the Atlantic.  I see the devastation of a massive hurricane a year and a half ago.  But I'm in a comfortable setting with family around me.  I'm certainly not suffering.  But, it gives me some perspective to consider John's situation.  How he must have cherished those moments of correspondence and assignment from Jesus!  Essentially, Jesus was saying, "Don't be discouraged and don't think I'm through with you!  I'm going to give you a tour of Heaven!  Write about it and send it to the churches!"  

So, where is Jesus?

1.  He's in Heaven praying for you!

2.  He's wherever two or three true believers gather in His name to respond to our prayers!

3.  He's in your heart through His Holy Spirit to comfort, strengthen and guide you!

4.  He's especially near to you in times of persecution or suffering to instruct you and clarify what He wants you to do!

Resurrected Lord,

Thank You for being with us in such significant ways!

There is no place that we can go where You are not available!

There is no situation in life that we can face where You will not hear our cry.

When we call to You in earnest, You answer!

Help us to live for Your glory and to expand Your Kingdom!

Amen!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment