Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2021

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

I have truly felt deeply for pastors through the COVID experience of the last fourteen months.  I recently read an article titled, "25 Church Statistics You Need to Know for 2021" [https://reachrightstudios.com/25-church-statistics-for-2021/].  It observed,
"Non-practicing Christians have grown from 35% to 43% from 2000 to 2020. During the same time, practicing Christians declined from 45% to 25%."

This news does not bode well for church finances;  it means there are considerably fewer people to pay the bills!  Other sources indicate that 20% of all churches have closed since the beginning of the pandemic!  

Think about it.  All pastors had to find a way a year ago to get some kind of service online.  My Facebook page is crowded every Sunday morning with 'Watch' parties centered around worship services.  Those who were broadcasting before COVID had a clear advantage.  The quality of many of these services is still quite low, yet give them credit for navigating these waters.  

Many of us have become acquainted - possibly even comfortable - with sitting in front of a computer screen for Sunday worship.  For the first time, we can go to church in our pajamas!  We can have coffee and a sweet roll while the service is in process!  How cool is that?

Since these services are still being broadcast as COVID concerns diminish, we can assume that some people are still staying home to worship.  When will churches determine that live-streaming is no longer necessary?  I'm acquainted with several churches that were livestreaming before COVID.  The fact is that some churches have prospered and grown through livestreaming.  

I was reading my college alma mater's magazine yesterday.  In an article by Romy Hosford (Associate Professor of Art) titled, "Media Is More Than The Technology That Creates It", her closing comment caught my attention:

"There is something about how our human souls inspire one another when we are in physical communion with one another that does not come through over screens."

Thoughts flooded my mind after reading that statement.  I quickly deduced that she was right.  

I can walk away from the computer screen taught, inspired and feeling that I've met a spiritual obligation;  however,  have I been affirmed, greeted, encouraged, cared for and touched?  You can answer for yourself.

For instance, I am a Facebooker.  According to my home page I have 851 'Friends'.  But in reality, I have very few friends in the traditional sense of the term.  These 'friends' laugh at my jokes, comment on my posts, and affirm my worth as a writer, but do they really care for me?  Do they leap to my aid in times of stress or trouble?  No.  Because I don't air my times of stress and trouble on Facebook.  

In real life, I have an ever-shrinking group of friends.  Debbie has always been my best friend.  My son, Troy, enters my life meaningfully at least once a week.  Then there's our dog, Gabe - man's best friend!  We have great neighbors who are friendly, but I don't really do things with them.  Truth be told, I'm a pretty lonely guy.  

I have come to know a few people where we attend church;  but I wouldn't call any of them friends.  

We have extended family nearby and even in our church, but I really don't share my burdens with any of them.  

I visited a large, growing church recently.  Theater seating and excellence from beginning to end.  When the worship ended I watched as the crowd departed the auditorium.    They walked straight out the back door having little or no contact with one another.  They got in their cars and drove away.  It struck me!  The churches I led had people lingering for over an hour after worship ended (I used to tell them to lock the door when they left 😁).  

I'm not against livestreaming.  It's been a blessing to me and many especially during the COVID crisis.  But I think Professor Hosford is right.  "There is something about how our human souls inspire one another when we are in physical communion with one another that does not come through over screens."  

I've been told by people I've counseled that they attend church because its the only place where they receive physical touch from others (hugs, handshakes, shoulder pats, etc.).  Wow!  Wow!  

For the record:  I'm finishing up this article and heading for church!  It's been my lifetime habit.  I love to worship God.  I enjoy being with people who share my love for God!  I'll linger a bit.  Maybe I can encourage someone.  Maybe I'll even be encouraged...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment