Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2021

I’LL DO WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO!

 Mary Brown wrote the words to this hymn in 1891:

It may not be on the mountain’s height,
Or over the stormy sea;
It may not be at the battle’s front,
My Lord will have need of me;
But if by a still, small voice He calls,
To paths that I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in Thine,
I’ll go where You want me to go.

Refrain:
I’ll go where You want me to go, dear Lord,
O’er mountain, or plain, or sea;
I’ll say what You want me to say, dear Lord,
I’ll be what You want me to be.

Perhaps today there are loving words
Which Jesus would have me speak;
There may be now in the paths of sin,
Some wand’rer whom I should seek;
O Savior, if Thou wilt be my guide,
Though dark and rugged the way,
My voice shall echo Thy message sweet,
I’ll say what You want me to say.

In 2015, we returned from three years in China at the end of July.  As prearranged, I began to be the commuting pastor of the Kittanning, PA Free Methodist Church on a part-time basis in September. 

We faced the crisis of re-adapting to a culture we’d been away from for three years.  I desperately missed China and our friends/students there.

We had great difficulty finding a place to live.  We had to find vehicles and replace a lot of what we’d given away three years earlier.

We had no income.

Being a commuting pastor was far more difficult than I had imagined.  I made at least three trips to Kittanning a week and slept three nights on the floor in my office. 

Our son, Travis, died in October.  Words cannot describe the shock, pain and grief that came in the following weeks.

On Christmas night Debbie’s Dad went to be with Jesus after a wonderful day of fellowship, pictures and joy with much of his family! 

In the midst of this chaos we realized we needed a home.  We planned and purchased a manufactured home, secured a lot in Heron Woods and moved into this new home (after MUCH work) in early June, 2016. 

But our lives had changed too much!  We struggled to adapt.  Troy and I built a garage that fall and spring which was a nice diversion. 

However, I had lost something that I couldn’t seem to replace.  With no plans to retire at 65, I did just that.  To some extent, I’ve struggled consistently since that decision was made.

We’ve had trouble finding a satisfactory church home, although in these five years we’ve attended two wonderful churches where we’ve been embraced and accepted. 

I’ve become a Lyft driver which has given me some sense of purpose for my days.  But, it’s not my calling.

This morning, I – along with other elders in the Free Methodist Church – was invited to participate in the ordination of David Quillen at the First FMC in East Liverpool, OH, under the leadership of Bishop Linda Adams.  As I participated in the liturgy, readings, scriptures and prayers of this ordination, I was reminded of personally taking these vows in 1978 – forty-three years ago. 

There’s been a lot of joy and pain in serving the Lord and His Church through those years.  I look back with some satisfaction, knowing that I applied myself diligently and earnestly and saw fruit for my faithfulness.  Thanks be to God. 

But I sense that God is calling me forward into something.  I’m not done yet…

Some things have changed:

·      my physical mobility is challenging me

·      my mental acuity has diminished

·      my hearing difficulties are well established

·      I don’t have the energy that I had even five years ago…

However,

·      my creativity is as alive as ever

·      my passion is still in overdrive

·      I have a reservoir of experience and knowledge

·      I have a desire to be obedient and effective…

So, I’m deliberating, meditating and listening…

Debbie, as always, is right on track with me!  We’re considering what God may be wanting for us. 

We talk about starting a group in our home that would strengthen the spiritual walk of the participants and offer prayer and support as we all move forward in God’s plans for us.  Does God desire for it to morph into something even more significant? 

I’m also considering re-entering the counseling ministry.  This is an area where I’ve seen some fruit and have also been moderately effective evangelistically.  But, I’d need a place.  So, I’m driving around with my eyes open to possible locations.  I want what God wants, and I know there are lots of hurting people out there! 

I hope I’m stirring up your own juices! 

·      What is God trying to accomplish in your life? 

·      What’s He calling you to do? 

·      What changes is He asking you to make to adapt to His plans? 

Here are three ways you can respond:

1.   If you’d like to pray for us – THANKS!

2.   If you’re interested in the group I mentioned, then PM me on Facebook or call/text @ (724) 944-3881.

3.   If you have suggestions or connections for a counseling location – do the same…

No comments:

Post a Comment