Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2022

GOD IS MERCIFUL!

Zephaniah is one of the least-read books of the Bible.  Most would have to turn to the table of contents to even find it. 

Remarkably, Zephaniah was the great, great grandson of one of Judah’s good kings – Hezekiah. 

It’s also noteworthy to observe that Zephaniah served God during the reign of Josiah, King of Judah!

Josiah became king as a child and was raised by the priests.  He became a godly leader who brought MAJOR reforms to his people.

God used Zephaniah to prophesy about these reforms.  He allowed Zephaniah to see ahead of time the tremendous purging that God intended to accomplish. 

Some of what God intends are:

o   Get rid of the sex-and-religion Baal shrines and their priests

o   Destroy those who worship the star gods and goddesses

o   Eliminate those who worship GOD and also other gods.

o   Deal with those who have completely abandoned GOD altogether! 

God refers to this coming purge as His Great Judgment Day!  GOD is going to clean house!  Divine punishment is coming for all those who disregard the holiness of GOD! 

Those who have displeased GOD will have no recourse or rescue!  Money, position, or power will not save them!  There will be lots of pain!  “Even strong men” will be “screaming for help.”  [1:14 TM]

[GOD speaking] “I’ll make things so bad they won’t even know what hit them.”  [1:17  TM]

WHY?

Because “They’ve sinned against GOD!”   [1:17 TM]

Zephaniah’s first chapter ends with these words: 

“This is the Day of GOD’s Judgment – my wrath!  I care about sin with fiery passion!”  [1:18 TM]

____________________________________

I applaud you if you’ve stayed with me this far! 

When I read this, I found myself focusing on those last words:  [GOD speaking]  “I care about sin with fiery passion!

From a divine perspective, God cannot tolerate the presence of sin! 

Now, why do we so quickly begin to think of the terrible sins prevalent in our world?  Yet, we ignore the terrible sins we commit regularly! 

God cannot abide MY SIN!  My sin must be dealt with!  It calls for my punishment!  I am held accountable for my sin;   this includes my sin in thought, word, and deed!  Yet repeatedly, I am given a reprieve!  By confessing my sin, I am able to claim the forgiveness offered to me through Christ – the One who paid the penalty for my sin on His Cross! 

It's not fair!  But it is just!  It is a completed work!  I live eternally grateful to Jesus for this amazing benefit! 

But what about all the sin we see in our world every day!  This sin is repugnant to GOD!  He can’t abide the presence of this sin either!  This sin must be punished.  This sin will be punished – unless it is confessed and forgiven by Christ! 

OUR RESPONSE:

The Natural Person’s Response:

These are horrible people who are committing all these sins!  They deserve to be punished!  Get them, God!  Condemn them!  They have no claim to all Your goodness and the joys that come from serving You!

The Spiritual Person’s Response:

Have mercy, Gracious God!  Extend time so that these precious souls will have time and opportunity to seek You and find You!  Guide them into Your fold so that they may enjoy the benefits of Your Eternal Kingdom!

___________________________________

THE FACTS:

Ultimately, many will be condemned.

Why?

Because GOD cares about sin with fiery passion and He cannot abide the presence of sin! 

But, in the meantime, He extends His mercy!  He prolongs his Judgment!  He reaches out to the lost! 

And as His people, we too should be reaching out to those who don't know Him! 

Here we are, then, speaking for Christ, as though God himself were making his appeal through us. We plead on Christ's behalf: let God change you from enemies into his friends!   [II Corinthians 5:20   Good News Translation]

No comments:

Post a Comment