Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2023

PASTORAL LEADERSHIP THOUGHTS

Exodus 17 is one of the first times that we see Moses sharing responsibility for the children of Israel. When they complain [again] that they are thirsty, Moses – under instructions from God – takes the elders of Israel with him to the rock of Horeb. There, sharing leadership and responsibility with the elders, he struck the rock and the people drank!
__________________________

It’s a long leap from this incident to the 21st century church, but there are lessons to be gleaned from this story.

Early on in my ministry, I heard pastors talk about “my church”, and something about that sounded wrong to me. Consequently, I tried hard to refrain from using that phrase. Instead, I substituted the phrase: “the church that I serve.”

It’s not ‘my church’, it's the church of Jesus Christ! He’s the Lord and Master of the church – not me.

I have always been a cooperative leader. I want us all to cross the finish-line together! I never wanted to dictate, I wanted to lead. Staying in close communion with God was a necessity! I worked hard at that.

The burden should not be solely on one person. The church is a cooperative venture! Duly elected and appointed leaders share responsibility for her welfare.

I ended many of our Ministry Council meetings by saying, “Well, let’s pray about this until next month’s meeting and see if God can’t bring us to a consensus.” In my leadership book, it was most important that we all be on the same page!
___________________________

Yet, in so many cases I hear about, the pastor is viewed as a CEO who dictates and is unquestioned. What’s the fear - that s/he will fire all of us?

The people have been there long-term! They will still be there when this pastor moves on and a new one is called or appointed. It’s far more ‘their’ church than it is ‘his/hers’.

God was teaching Moses to spread out the leadership instead of bearing the burden and responsibility alone. In my humble opinion, a lot of pastors today need to reframe their perspective into one of cooperative leadership as opposed to a dictatorial approach!

Yes, it takes longer to build consensus!  Yes, there are 'slow-adaptors' who resist change at all costs.  Yes, it adds to our frustration.  But the dividends will be beneficial for the pastor who exercises restraint and patience.  The goals that s/he desires will ultimately be met, and will be longer lasting as a result!  

Parishoners need to be bolder in speaking out and challenging the thoughts and ideas of their pastors. Accept responsibility for your church being the church that God wants it to be! Respect your pastor, pray for your pastor, honor your pastor – but also question him/her. Let your opinion be heard considerately!

No comments:

Post a Comment