Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

OUR MOST POWERFUL SPIRITUAL WEAPON

There is a greatly underused tool in our arsenal that has far more impact than most people realize.  Many Christians have NEVER used the tool.  Others have used it – but incorrectly.  Our American culture almost completely fails to consider this tool unless it has to do with weight loss. 

I have recently gone from being retired to being back in the ministry again.  It’s been quite a change!  The last I led a church was in 2016 – at which point I retired.  Actually, the last I led a church as a full time pastor was 2012, when Debbie and I left for China.  I was sixty at that time – I’m seventy-two now. 

Returning to the responsibilities and strains of leading a church has caused me to experience increased stress and a return to that feeling I once knew so well – that one’s work is NEVER done! 

My work week once again revolves around:

  • Preparing a message for Sunday
  • Leading a weekly staff meeting
  • Preparing for and leading a Board of Administration meeting
  • Mentoring leaders and candidates for the ministry
  • Visitation – minimal since the church has a nearly ordained Pastor of Visitation
  • Prayer for the various people and needs represented in the church!
  • Meeting requests for personal interventions
  • Addressing areas of brokenness within the church in hopes of creating health and effectiveness
  • Add to this that the church is nearly an hour-and-a-half from my home!

The last two weeks has brought a rise in my stress level – the kind that’s hard to escape from.  It has the potential to take the joy out of your life.  It’s pervasive.  It preoccupies your mind.  For many pastors, this is a perpetual state of being.  Leading a church - especially a growing church - may look easy from the pew, but it’s a VERY DIFFICULT THING TO DO! 

So, in the last two weeks, I’ve pulled out that old tool!  While I was actively leading churches, I used it a lot!  However, in retirement, I must confess that I haven’t used this tool in quite a few years.  I’m not proud to admit that!  I guess it shows how much I’ve allowed myself to be removed from the fray! 

This tool is – from my experience and perspective – the most powerful tool in our box!  Used properly, it can make a massive difference!  Yet, so many people misuse this tool!  But the problem is that this tool is difficult to teach about and explain.  Doing so can cause people to think that you’re super-spiritual – even when that is not the case!  In reality, this tool requires and creates a great sense of humility.

My study carrel is loaded with various reminders that intentionally catch my eye as I work there.  Back in the corner behind my lamp is one that serves as a reminder from a time when I used this tool. 

The tool – if you haven’t already guessed – is fasting.  Fasting is, of course, going for a period of time without food and focusing your life on prayer instead.  It is a willing deprivation in hopes that you will be able to create a more focused relationship with God!  It is a tool that is to be practiced in private – to the best of one’s ability.  In some sense, it is a ‘trigger tool’ that allows you – every time you feel hungry – to deliberately turn your heart to God! 

I’m dealing with a delicate matter in the church right now.  I don’t have the necessary wisdom to know how best to lead through this situation.  All my past experience still leaves me in significant need of divine guidance and the nearness of my Lord!  So, several times in the past two weeks I’ve returned to using this tool.  I desperately need the guidance of the Lord of the Church!  

Make no mistake about it:  it is a spiritual warfare tool!  My study-carrel poster reminds me [in my own words] of two very important facts:

I believe that fasting is

THE MOST POWERFUL SPIRITUAL WARFARE WEAPON

THAT GOD HAS GIVEN US!

and

I also believe that fasting is the most

UNDERUSED SPIRITUAL WARFARE WEAPON

that God has given us!

No comments:

Post a Comment