Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Me Too!

It was one of my nick-names for Tracie when she was little!  Growing up with two older brothers, she often found herself in situations that could best be quickly satisfied by simply saying those two words!

Travis:  "Dad, can I ride along with you?"
Tracie:  "Me too!"

Troy:  "Dad, could you jump on the trampoline with me?"
Tracie:  "Me too!"

Travis:  "Dad, can I watch the Cosby's tonight?"
Tracie:  "Me too!"

Troy:  "Dad, will you play catch with me?"
Tracie:  "Me too!"

She said it so often!  I loved her for it.  It showed her admiration for her brothers and her passion for life!

The spirit of "Me too!" is generally a good thing.  You see someone doing something - or even just hear that they're going to do something, and it ignites desire within you.  The seed has been planted.  You want to do this thing, too!

We even see it in the scriptures.  In John 21, Peter - in a state of confusion after Jesus' death and resurrection - says:  "I'm going fishing."  Six of his friends say:  "Me too!"  And what a day they had!

I guess the spirit of "Me too!" involves an impression-maker and an impression-taker.  One person creates the idea and another jumps on the bandwagon.

I think I'm both.  Sometimes, I come up with ideas that others commend and even participate in.  Isn't that what the 'Like' button is all about on Facebook?  Just another way of saying, "Me too!"  :-)

  • "I like this picture, video, quote, story..."
  • "I do too!"
Other times, I see what someone is doing and decide that I want to jump in on the act!  "Me too!"  Why else do so many young men wear their baseball caps sideways?  They saw someone else do it and thought it was cool!  So be it.  

Some years ago, when I first started Facebooking, I joined up because I didn't want to be a dinosaur.  In doing so, I decided however, that I would try to be a positive force on this media.  So far, I think I've succeeded.  No rants yet. Tempted, but successful in fighting off the need.  

I decided to be a one-man force to create positivism.  'Like' lots of people's stuff. Make lots of friends.  Post jokes and funny stories.  Publicize devotional materials.  Spread happiness and Christian love.  

And maybe - just maybe - we can start a "Me too!" revolution!  

Hey, I see what Brenda and Hal and Charlie and Kathy and Tracey and so many others are doing;  and I'm going to do it too!  I'm going to add value to the positive side of life;  we all come by enough negativity just by traveling through this world!  I'm going to lighten loads not add to burdens.

I recently read a post that commented about people who have "no good" in them.  I couldn't 'Like' that post. I know there are really negative, bitter, broken, angry, depraved people in this world.  But I just can't bring myself to agree that there is "no good" in them.  Maybe I can't see it or draw it out, but the image of God is there!  I need to honor that!  I can give them time, or space, or attention, or affirmation, or lots of other things.  Goodness, truth be known, some days I feel pretty lousy, myself!  

So, I'm still trying to plug along saying nice things and posting humorous things and telling jokes and writing inane blog articles - just trying to make the journey a little more enjoyable.  

My most valuable mentor taught me to hold the crown high above people's heads and wait for them to grow into it.  She did that better than anyone I know.  When I watched her do it, in my spirit I said, "Me too!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment