Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Take this bread - take this cup

I just returned from leading chapel at 'Grey's Colonial Acres Personal Care Home' outside of Kittanning. This home is run by Ken and Paula Grey, who attend our Free Methodist Church.

There are about twenty residents there - mostly women.  Some are quite capable of holding a conversation and following the line-of-thought in a devotional.  Some are very sleepy.  Others are distracted by their own thoughts.

Three women reside there who (I'm told) were once VERY active in our Kittanning Free Methodist Church: Lawave Trudgen, Opal McManus and Lois Moore.

I'm reminded of a story from years ago when I was a very young pastor at Jeannette, Pennsylvania.  There was a woman in the church named Annie Demaria.  She had served the church through the years in many ways, but primarily as the hostess for any travelling evangelists or other dignitaries who visited the church. She was dearly loved and respected by everyone!

However, during my years there, her physical and mental faculties failed and her family made the tough decision of placing her in a nursing home in Apollo, PA.

I visited her regularly.  However, I often had a hard time finding her for she appointed herself as the unofficial chaplain of the institution.  Daily, she visited others and prayed with them always carrying her Bible as a point of reference.

Lo-and-behold, her condition improved significantly and eventually she was able to return home and to church.  I will never forget her first Sunday morning back!  She stood and reprimanded the congregation for not coming to visit her while she was in the nursing home!  Although she was not mean about it, she was very direct and looked people in the eye as she spoke.  A lot of people were brought face-to-face with their failures that morning!

I lead chapel three times a month - once at each of the Grey's homes.  I have established a rapport with the people and genuinely enjoy my 30-40 minutes with them each month.  They seem to reciprocate with feelings of affection. Unfortunately, I do this ministry alone!  I have invited my congregation to come along to help with the singing, but so far no one has done so.  Sad!  I guess we need another Annie Demaria to show up some Sunday.

Today, for the first time, I served Holy Communion during our chapel.  It had its awkward moments.  Some don't have the motor skills to handle the small cup and the small piece of bread.  Others are not fully aware of what we are doing and why.  Of course, others are very aware and participate with tears and attitudes of gratitude!  The staff (Paula and Caleb) were so helpful and gracious in assisting with this service.

By the way, Jesus was there!  He was loving on His children!  He was so tender and understanding with each one!  You should have seen it!  He didn't mind that grape juice was spilled or that bread crumbs fell to the floor.  He wasn't offended when a couple just didn't understand and refused to participate.  He was so patient and tender with each one!  You know, He's pro-life at both ends of the spectrum!

I was honored to be his minister in this service.  I believe people were encouraged today.  I believe they were given assurance of their salvation!  I believe they genuinely communicated their worship to God.

Paula tells me that they will often pick up my songsheets and sing the songs again for days after our chapel! How cool is that?

Oh, my schedule for this ministry is 1:30 PM:

  • 2nd Wednesday - Grey's Colonial Gardens
  • 3rd Wednesday - Grey's Colonial Manor
  • 4th Wednesday - Grey's Colonial Acres
I'd love to have you come along and help with the singing, share a testimony, read a scripture, or sing (play) a song!  You'd probably be a blessing to the people who reside at these homes;  but to be truthful, you'd probably get the biggest blessing!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment