Search This Blog

Sunday, December 25, 2016

A Mother's Love!

I shared the following story in today's Christmas message, titled:  "Gifts Fit for a King!"

We probably best capture the true essence of gift-giving when we are still quite young.  We want to do something great for our parents.  We want to do something extravagant.  We really want to impress them.  We may even empty our piggy bank as we indulge ourselves in the adventure of buying great gifts for our parents.  This obviously happens after we’ve passed through the home-made gift-giving stage!  

I remember the year that I became fascinated with a horse’s head in an expensive gift shop in Beaver Falls when I was about 10.  I walked to Beaver Falls three times (a five-mile walk - one way) to look it over and evaluate the situation.  If I spent the $10 on it for my mom, then I would have to be a little chincy with everyone else on my list.  But, my love for my mom won out.  I spent the money and bought the horse’s head.  

Now I forgot to mention that my mom had no love for horses.  She had never had a horse and had never been on a horse;  as a matter of fact, she had probably never even been near a horse.  I don’t know what happened to logic that year, but I convinced myself that she just had to have this horse’s head.  

On Christmas morning, when she pulled the tissue out of that expensive looking gift box and gazed on that horse’s head, I knew I’d hit a home run!  She loved it!  She fussed over it and gushed over me for spending my hard-earned allowance money on such a nice gift.  

After Christmas, she called me into the living room one day to discuss a special place for this treasured gift.  My folks had just gotten some new living room furniture, and one end table was rectangular with a lower shelf and a top shelf.  She had placed it on the lower shelf and explained that it looked like it was in a stable.  I was tickled with delight at her creativity!  

In time, the horse’s head was gradually moved further and further back on that lower shelf until it couldn’t be seen by anyone.  I never noticed.  I was a young man before I realized how inappropriate a gift it was for my mother;  yet I love her to this day for the graceful way she handled me and my horse’s head gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment